Snow storms.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Dee

We had wind and snow fell all nite and all Sat. Tonite the rain and ice over the 4" we got Sat.. Didn't loose elect., but was prepared. Thanks for asking. Very thoughtful of you.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 AM

I'm on the south shore of Long Island - we got 18 inches of snow. My neighborhood has mostly been cleared though some side streets are still untouched. The Long Island Expressway is still closed from Exit 63 all the way east to its end in Riverhead. This is just unbelievable!! Many friends are still stuck at home due to lack of plows coming down their streets! People can't get to work; most schools are closed today. This morning (monday) things are just as bad as the temps are still at or below freezing and we've got black ice!! Heavy rains today will only make things worse.....I can't wait for my next Florida vacation!!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Here is Near philadelphia PA. WE got about 6" and didn't loose the electric. Woopie! Over the years I have learned to be prepared and ready for about two weeks of trouble, which has happened in the

Hope everyone made it through without to much damage or trouble.
peace
love the pic. The snow make it look so beautiful!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 AM

Freezing rain in NE right now. Hoping we don't loose electricity. Don't mind camping for a bit but would rather wait for summer. Have plenty of food,wood and batteries. Material cut and ready to hand sew and book to read. Staying off roads keeping warm and toasty by the fire.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Default Long Island, NY blizzard 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394529[/ATTACH]Helping Hands.....needed to get your car dug out....Mormon missionary young men like angels have been helping us here on Long Island as we "dig out"!
Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg   007.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Sweetpea,

That is such a nice thing for those young men to do.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Whew! I just got an email from the friend in CT who checks our house weekly and during/after storms while we're in AZ. All's well AND they didn't lose power. Nice. He said they got 20 inches, so it wasn't as bad in our little town as the '78 blizzard - 3 feet in that one!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Our snow storm, ended up not amounting to much. Ice first, from freezing rain on Sat. afternoon. Then some snow overnight Sat., maybe an inch. Then Sunday morning around 10 it started snowing fairly heavily. By late afternoon, we'd gotten 7". The plow came by around 4 pm, it was still snowing but not so hard. Our sidewalk and driveway by the garage get deeper from snow blowing off the roof, which it did, but not too bad. The sun is out and the snow has melted off on the street and our driveway is black again.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM

It is in the low 80's here but I am in the deep South,.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM

It snowed all of Friday and Saturday giving us in New Hampshire anywhere from 24 to 34 inches of snow. Well, we closed our place of business about 3:00 PM on Friday and headed home for our 45 minute ride around the lake when we decided to stop by our mechanic’s place to pick up our extra set of truck keys in case they were needed over the weekend. Our mechanic lives on a very steep long hill…..yes; you know where this is going!

Even thought we started down the hill barely moving, our truck (Ford 250 Crew Cab) lost it and it went into an accelerating rate of speed down the hill, across the street, off the road down into then out of a gully and was heading for the trees. It was very obvious that we were not going to stop so my husband moved his foot from the brake to the gas pedal and fought the wheel to turn the truck around. First the truck stuttered throwing up snow, dirt, twigs and rocks as we just missed the trees by a foot or two. Then we rode at an angle along the gutter headed for an electrical pole when Ron fought to get the truck up out of the gutter and successfully, we slammed back down onto the road. We were both shocked that we didn’t crash and grateful still that we didn’t injure any unsuspecting traveler along the roadway. No, God just wasn’t through with us here on earth.

I had called my daughter on my cell phone when we were on top of the hill to insure that she and her family were home safe and sound when our ’ride of terror’ happened with the phone open. She said she heard it all; the dog barking, my screaming, the truck banging and throwing itself around while all she could do was listen, terrified as to what was happening to us. She couldn’t believe that we not only survived but were back out onto the road continuing our trip home. We had our seat belts on and the truck is going into the garage for a good going over on Wednesday.

Once home the storm was beautiful to look at while we spent a quiet day Saturday at home and I enjoyed machine quilting.

Sunday the storm had passed, the sun was shinning with blue skies. We spend the day digging out from the storm at our place of business with the temperature a delightful 46 degrees.

Traveling home again on Sunday the roads were not only clear by dry, and everyone was out and about enjoying the snow. Going by one lake there were cars racing out on the lake and many bystanders cheering them on…..and the annual fishing derby was underway on the big lake with a huge turnout. The largest fish in each of several categories (trout, bass, etc) received cash prizes: First prize $15,000, second $5,000, and third prize was $1000.
Here in NH we are used to big snow storms and many snow enthusiasts really get excited when a big storm is predicted.

I feel bad for those in our neighboring state of MA that have lost power and those in the South that received damaging tornadoes. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless!

Last edited by Nancy Ingham; 02-11-2013 at 12:20 PM.