View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM
orangeroom

Good for you for trying to motivate yourself! My sewing studio is also the computer room that I share with the whole family. There's a lot in my little room; 2 corner computer desks, a retired kitchen table that always has a larger cutting mat on it, my sewing desk (a retired computer desk), and a 2 tiered shelving unit. My fabric stash is technically in the next room (there's a wide doorway). It's an enclosed 6' cupboard with doors.

I think you'd gain a lot of space in your shelving units if you fold your fabric to a vertical height that fits the space of each shelf and stack them vertically. Similar to how they are stacked at the LCS. I read about a lot of women using comic book boards to wrap their material around and thought oh, I've got those. Kind of like smaller versions of what the fabric stores use. However, I realized that I don't need those to take up space that could be filled with material instead.

If you decide to do this, keep in mind, it will take time. It's well worth it though. It took me nearly one full day. You have more fabric than I do. It looks so nice though when completed if all of your like colors are together. Very easy to find what you're looking for when searching for a particular color.

I have all of my fat quarters or 2 1/2" strips on the top shelf, specially folded fabric on the next, larger quantities on the third shelf (folded as if they were still on a bolt - only without the cardboard), and flannels on the bottom.

Good luck with your organization mission. Let me know, if you remember, how it looks when complete.