View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by scrapnut View Post
I love how quickly the Turning Twenty and Turning Twenty Again quilt top goes together, BUT...... I really dislike how large the pieces are. The blocks seem so BIG and BUSY.. I am thinking of cutting the pieces half the size rather than cutting it full size. I will have to make twice as many blocks but, I just think it will reduce the Business of this quilt. What do you think?
I like the big blocks, but you might reduce the pieces by app. a third and have somewhat smaller blocks. Determine a Finished main piece size you're happy with------say 5" (cut 5.5 square), cut the smaller side piece (5.5 x 3 seam allowance for a Finished piece that is 5 x 2.5. Then cut your long piece at 8 x 3 for a Finished piece that is 7.5 x 2.5. Your whole block would be 7.5 square finished.

For a Finished 4' main piece---Finished block of 6 x 6 cut as follows

4.5 x 4.5 (finishes at 4')
4.5 x 2.5 (finishes at 4 x 2)
6.5 x 2.5 (finishes at 6 x 6)

I inhertited a bunch of blocks all perfectly cut at 5.75-----------I have no idea where they came from. But I adjusted my two side pieces (of other fabric) to match a main square cut at 5.75. Got some good looking personal sized quilts. One fabric was a funny lilac, muddy aqua, black and cream. As luck would have it, I also inherited some lilac binding strips that I sewed together lengthwise to form both side pieces. The extra seam in the side pieces give it an extra zing. It's set on point and I still have to add the end pieces. (some day).

I've found the Turning Twenty block an ideal way to use up fabric that might not be useful otherwise.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-30-2018 at 04:48 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps