Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning Twenty quilt >

Turning Twenty quilt

Turning Twenty quilt

Old 01-27-2020, 11:50 AM

Question question on quilt stitch

Question for the experts here. This might get long so my apologies.

I have a turning twenty quilt from when I first started where I pulled the backing up and over to make the binding. Learned a lot since this one. It's my daughter's and she loves and uses it so the edges have worn away. I'm putting new batting and backing on it now. I originally hand quilted it in black as a long stitch that worked out from the middle in concentric rectangles. Anyway, I sort of liked the looks of it.
With the redo, I'm planning on using a rental long arm available in the local shop. So, I'm trying to decide on the quilting. I like the original look so was just going to do the same which would be a basting stitch on the machine. The inner rectangles won't be the issue but I'm not sure of the work to wind and unwind the rollers and still keep a continuous stitch going as I get to the outer edge. (hope that's making sense).

Having rented the use of a long arm before I know it works better for the quilting stitch to go from one edge to the other back and forth and wind up the quilt so you're just working on it once to get fully stitched. So if I don't do the concentric rectangles, I have no idea what stitch to use. I don't want anything intricate and tight stitched. And I'm not sure if I'd like a loopy look stitch given the clean lines of the turning twenty blocks. Thoughts?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-27-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: links to own or affiliated sites are not permitted
Old 01-27-2020, 02:30 PM

I take it the rental long arm doesn't have robotic patterns available? Maybe talk to the longarm owner, show her (him?) the pattern you're hoping to quilt and ask if they can advise you the best way to quilt something similar.

Another thought is to look at the longarmer's current stash of pantos (if she/he has any) to see if there's anything you like, or you can go online and look at patterns. Maybe you'll find one you like and can purchase to use.