Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turning Twenty quilt

Turning Twenty quilt

I love how quickly the Turning Twenty and Turning Twenty Again quilt top goes together, BUT...... I really dislike how large the pieces are. The blocks seem so BIG and BUSY.. I am thinking of cutting the pieces half the size rather than cutting it full size. I will have to make twice as many blocks but, I just think it will reduce the BUSINESS of this quilt. What do you think?

Blog Entries
    Could you use the same method as the disappearing 9 patch and cut them up?
    Quilting in the Desert

Blog Entries
    It would probably look similar to a Yellow Brick Road pattern if you cut down the size.

http://store.atkinsondesigns.com/sto...3&Item_ID=1015

Quote Originally Posted by scrapnut View Post
    I love how quickly the Turning Twenty and Turning Twenty Again quilt top goes together, BUT...... I really dislike how large the pieces are. The blocks seem so BIG and BUSY.. I am thinking of cutting the pieces half the size rather than cutting it full size. I will have to make twice as many blocks but, I just think it will reduce the BUSINESS of this quilt. What do you think?
    Decide how big you want a block and simply adjust the three pieces to get the finished size you want.

If you use a 3" square instead of a 6" square, you'll be making FOUR times as many blocks. (3 & 6 were just examples)
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    It would probably look similar to a Yellow Brick Road pattern if you cut down the size.

Changing the size won't change the design
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post

Thats what i think, too.

Blog Entries
    if you want to - go for it! another way is to construct the blocks the size they are---then cut them in 1/4's turn them and sew them back together---or into any number or shape- it is your project-and it is wonderful to (get creative) with your projects and MAKE THEM YOUR OWN!
    show us pictures of what you come up with- you may create a whole new world of turning 20's
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Changing the size won't change the design

What I meant was that both are basically different sized squares and rectangles that make up a larger square. Same as Yellow Brick Road. Of course they are different designs, but do have similar style to them.

Thanks

Wonderful ideas. Thanks for all your help.

To get around the busy look of the Turning 20 quilt, I used some of the same fabric multiple times instead of using 20 different fat quarters. Using the same fabric added some continuity to the quilt, and I really like how the quilt turned out.

I was just looking for a Turning Twenty pattern any suggestions for sources? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    That's exactly why I'm buying the Turning Twenty book tomorrow. I've got some large motif fabric that needs the big block pattern.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post
    To get around the busy look of the Turning 20 quilt, I used some of the same fabric multiple times instead of using 20 different fat quarters. Using the same fabric added some continuity to the quilt, and I really like how the quilt turned out.
    I've only used 8 or 9 FQs for personal sized quilt. I've use the 3 colors several times as I inherited a BIG BUNCH of perfectly cut 5 7/8" blocks. A few dozen of 8 different prints.
    U N T I E

I just bought living large 2 which uses large designs. Some great patterns in there. Altering the turning twenty should be interesting so go for it.
    Linda

I think I'm going to try it two different ways suggested - reducing the size of the block and repeating the same fabric rather than 20 separate fat quarters. I will start next week. I am soooo busy at work this coming week. I have to reserve my brain cells to focus on finishing training class I have attending. I have a big test on Friday. Three more days, complete the test successfully and class is finished - Monday, Wednesday and Friday!!! The count down has begun! I am thankful for the opportunity I have been given, but I am ready for it to be finished.

Don't forget to show us pictures
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

Is the width of the rectangular blocks 1/2 the size of the square? For example if the square was 4 inches would the rectangular block widths by 2 inches?

I was too cheap to buy the pattern, so I found a picture on the internet and then figured out the block and how to cut the fabric. So if the basic block is going to be enlarged or reduced to the fabric you have. I liked being able to put 4 piece of fabric on top of each other and being able to cut them at the same time. Cutting time is quick - but the arrangement time is what takes forever for me. My favorite one was the one I did for a friend out of Halloween fabric - her birthday is 10/31 - so I embroidered a carved pumpkin with a Happy Birthday message embroidered under it. Then each block was outlined with black and yellow. It was quick & fun to do.

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of it before giving it to her.

I agree its has large pieces. .. but I reduced the Yellow Brick Road pattern as I thought it had pieces that were just too large.

I used the turning twenty pattern and made a baby quilt with it by cutting all the blocks in half. It came outreal cute and was quick and easy. Being I am a beginner and needed a baby quilt in a hurry, it was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonsDad View Post
    I used the turning twenty pattern and made a baby quilt with it by cutting all the blocks in half. It came outreal cute and was quick and easy. Being I am a beginner and needed a baby quilt in a hurry, it was perfect.
    I made it as a baby quilt, too, but for the large portion of the block, I used embroidered blocks. Not to brag, but it turned out really cute. I wish I could find my pictures of it. It really is a good place to use big prints or panels or whatever.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I made a turning twenty quilt but used half the size measurements.
    Cris

I really like the turning twenty quilt pattern. I have made several, go together quickly and nice when done. I am finishing a warm wishes quilt and then will start on a scrappy turning twenty for my BIL who is sick. I think the key to the ttp is to choose the material carefully, makes it more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post

I've made several personal sized quilts that use only 3 colors, always set in the same pattern. I'm quite pleased with them (made for pre-cut pieces that I inherited.)
    U N T I E

I made a turning twenty with 20 different breast cancer fabrics. I like the bigness of the blocks, personally.

2nd one, quilted and finished

Last edited by Mchelem; 02-11-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast