View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM
riutzelj

i am a psychotherapist and have the opportunity to take a job supervising the paraprofessionals that do the basic Chemical Dependency work, basic screening and assessments for other things.I will provide counseling for the communities around the Chemical Dependency, Trauma and Depression issues rampant up there. The Physician's Assistant in my clinic says that no one has been working with the kids and there are lots of trauma issues: accidental deaths, suicides, abuse etc. for these kids to manage.
For me, it is the chance to get all my graduate school loans paid off in two-three years so we can retire, a career move upwards to go from straight clinician to a supervisory role, which gives me a place to pass on to another generation my skills, an adventure ( if i gotta work in an agency, i'd prefer it to be an adventure), the pay is great, the benefits are great ( i'll actually get some retirement set aside), the housing is corporation owned and is nice and Heat is covered in the rent which is less in St. Mary's than it is in Bethel and actually gets less the longer you work for them, and the folks are great.
downside: the community is SMALL, less than 700 hundred, amenities are the post office, the AC store (grocery), the Yukon Trader ( not sure what they sell), a very small Catholic chapel, the Community hall and an airport 6 miles out of town., i'll be away from family though i have 4 1/2 weeks paid time off a year so trips home will happen. Husband is still working here and he works at a university and we have one more daughter working on her college degree to use his staff discount. He is very high level Asperger's and change happens SLOWLY so my going up and his visiting is the process for that to happen. He wants the quilts to stay because that is how he stays connected with me. I also am going to be leaving the icon of Mary and Christ that i brought home from Germany. " it is too big to pack". That response being typically Asperger's, after all i shipped it home from Germany. What he really meant was " you brought that back for us and i want to keep it since it reminds me of you"