View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Olivia's Grammy

Originally Posted by elizajo
After reading about sergers on Pattern Review.com, I ordered a Brother 1034 serger online about five years ago just to try one out for general sewing. It cost somewhere between $100 and $125. It is still working fine, no service needed at all.

About the only thing I use it for is overcasting raw edges on woven fabrics for pants and some shirts. I thought that I would use the three thread stretch stitch for knit tops, but I still like a narrow zig zag the best.

I serged the edge on a quilt until I could find a binding fabric that I liked. I needed to use the quilt, so here it is two years later and I still have a serged edge! I think there is a method for quilting with a serger, but I would think you would end up with bulky seams.

Oh, and I don't mind the threading--- my other machines are vintage, so I don't know what I'm missing.
I did ONE quilt with the serger. I thought the seams were to bulky. I tried sergering the edge of the quilt once also. I thought it just added extra work for the quilt. However, if I did not have time to do the binding and needed the quilt right away I would serger.