Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother brand Serger >

Brother brand Serger

Brother brand Serger

Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 PM

Ok, I don't want to spend 12 to 14 hundred dollars for a serger. I could sure use a serger from time to time though. I have looked at the Brother's brand serger and checked out comments about it on-line and it sounds good for the price but.......sometimes things sound good just because you want one! Anyone here have a Brother's serger or know of anyone who has one and have any feedback/advice that you can give me?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM

I have to laugh. I have a serger that I use every so often and I had it in my head it was a Brother. So when I looked to find the model for you, it turns out it is a Pfaff. I used to work on a Brother and had very good luck with it. I can't remember the model though. My Pfaff wasn't as expensive as $1200 - 1400... My serger is several years old, so I'm sure they have really fancy ones now.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM

Check out the Baby Lock. It's awesome. It blows the threads through to the loopers. I paid less than $1200.00. I used to have the top of the line Pfaff and it was so complicated that after 12 years I still used only the basis stitches on it.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks ladies for the input, I will check out the Pfaff and Baby Lock and Ducky, I've done the same thing, positive that I had a certain item and when I went to look it was something else!!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM

After reading about sergers on Pattern Review.com, I ordered a Brother 1034 serger online about five years ago just to try one out for general sewing. It cost somewhere between $100 and $125. It is still working fine, no service needed at all.

About the only thing I use it for is overcasting raw edges on woven fabrics for pants and some shirts. I thought that I would use the three thread stretch stitch for knit tops, but I still like a narrow zig zag the best.

I serged the edge on a quilt until I could find a binding fabric that I liked. I needed to use the quilt, so here it is two years later and I still have a serged edge! I think there is a method for quilting with a serger, but I would think you would end up with bulky seams.

Oh, and I don't mind the threading--- my other machines are vintage, so I don't know what I'm missing.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:22 PM

I have a Baby Lock Imagine purchased a few years ago when I retired and I love it. Don't use it often but it's very usefull and could be utilized a lot more. I did a quilt-as-you- go on it (actually two) and they turned out just fine and the method is rather fun to do. There are some very good applications in a book called Creative Serging, but unfortunately don't know the author. Their instructions for doing the quilt-as-you-go projects are very good.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by elizajo
After reading about sergers on Pattern Review.com, I ordered a Brother 1034 serger online about five years ago just to try one out for general sewing. It cost somewhere between $100 and $125. It is still working fine, no service needed at all.

About the only thing I use it for is overcasting raw edges on woven fabrics for pants and some shirts. I thought that I would use the three thread stretch stitch for knit tops, but I still like a narrow zig zag the best.

I serged the edge on a quilt until I could find a binding fabric that I liked. I needed to use the quilt, so here it is two years later and I still have a serged edge! I think there is a method for quilting with a serger, but I would think you would end up with bulky seams.

Oh, and I don't mind the threading--- my other machines are vintage, so I don't know what I'm missing.
I did ONE quilt with the serger. I thought the seams were to bulky. I tried sergering the edge of the quilt once also. I thought it just added extra work for the quilt. However, if I did not have time to do the binding and needed the quilt right away I would serger.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM

I have a Brother I bought some 20 years ago right before I stop working for Wal Mart and I use it when I am making my clothes or taking in clothes for my grandaughter and it still works like a dream. I have never had an ounce of trouble with it at all.
It is a 3/4 thread overlock and the only thing that I wish it had is the auto adjust for the thickness of fabrics. Most of the new ones do have that feature.
I have found for lower cost machines they operate and last extremely well and am just waiting for my husband to find a job (he lost his 6 months ago) so I can buy an embroidery machine from Brother.