View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
SewCrazyinGA

Alaska is my home. I lived there 32 years, longer than anywhere else. I lived in Fairbanks, Kenai/Soldotna, Kodiak, Anchorage, and even Bethel. My kids were born there and my first two grandkids. Two of my kids still live in Wasilla. I made the mistake of following my daughter (the one with the grandkids) to Georgia when we retired. Now we have bought a house and are STUCK. The daughter (and, more importantly, the grandkids have moved to OK. Oh, how I wish we were still in Alaska. Having said that, good luck to you. I lived in AK for 24 yrs. prior to moving to Bethel. I had lived in Kodiak for 6 yrs. and that remoteness did not prepare me for Bethel. Of course, I had heard all the horror stories about Bethel. Most of them are true. You have to be one tough individual to survive life in the bush. I made a lot of friends in Bethel, and did a lot of quilting. There were 2 stores that carried some fabric, but I was fortunate in that I could get into Anchorage fairly often and shop. We had a super guild in Bethel and had some great times, even did "retreats" in the FAA housing community center. People in Alaska are divided into two groups: those who love it, and those who hate it. Those of us who love it wish those others would just leave or shut up.
Best of luck to you. I would love to hear about your adventure.