View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
pumpkinpatchquilter

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
feline fanatic, there actually is a ruler foot for the Innova, and a trapunto foot. Like you I use the open toe foot for everything.

I know that other brands, especially older ones, have had hopping feet that weren't tall enough to use rulers. I searched online and found this conversation about the APQS. I think it might answer your questions. http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/top...foot-confused/
That would be my post! Just thought I'd check over here because I know there are some APQS owners who don't frequent the other site.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
OK, first you do realize you need to have special rulers for a LA machine no matter what make you have. You need the 1/4" thick acrylic ones as opposed to what you use for cutting which are only about 1/8" thick.

Second, what does the foot on your machine look like now? A picture would be helpful. My machine came with two feet. A closed toe and an open toe. I always have the open toe on. I think the only difference is the closed toe is a full 1/4" from the needle on all sides. The open toe the gap is more like 3/8" from the front of the foot to the needle. I live with it, rather than swapping feet. But I certainly don't need to retime my machine to swap out feet. I have an Innova. I got it in 2011 but it was a dealer demo model. Still at that I don't think it was much older than a few years when I got it. So still quite newer than yours.
Yes, I realize I need different rulers. I don't have an Innova - I have an APQS, and the way that these machines are made you DO need to retime the machine to replace the foot, they are not interchangeable, you have to remove the hook assembly and the bar is one solid piece that goes right up into the machine head. It has to be pulled right out of the bushing (I think that's what it's called). The new machines come with a foot compatible with standard long arm rulers and I can buy an interchangeable foot for $140. But I'm thinking I might buy the plastic adapter for now but I'm curious if I'm going to be limited in the rulers that I can use. I'd like to buy some of Jamie Wallen's rulers and Dusty Ferrell's...but I don't want to waste my money if they not thick enough!