Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Quilting and Rulers - Question! >

Long Arm Quilting and Rulers - Question!

Long Arm Quilting and Rulers - Question!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
feline fanatic, there actually is a ruler foot for the Innova, and a trapunto foot. Like you I use the open toe foot for everything.

I know that other brands, especially older ones, have had hopping feet that weren't tall enough to use rulers. I searched online and found this conversation about the APQS. I think it might answer your questions. http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/top...foot-confused/
That would be my post! Just thought I'd check over here because I know there are some APQS owners who don't frequent the other site.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
OK, first you do realize you need to have special rulers for a LA machine no matter what make you have. You need the 1/4" thick acrylic ones as opposed to what you use for cutting which are only about 1/8" thick.

Second, what does the foot on your machine look like now? A picture would be helpful. My machine came with two feet. A closed toe and an open toe. I always have the open toe on. I think the only difference is the closed toe is a full 1/4" from the needle on all sides. The open toe the gap is more like 3/8" from the front of the foot to the needle. I live with it, rather than swapping feet. But I certainly don't need to retime my machine to swap out feet. I have an Innova. I got it in 2011 but it was a dealer demo model. Still at that I don't think it was much older than a few years when I got it. So still quite newer than yours.
Yes, I realize I need different rulers. I don't have an Innova - I have an APQS, and the way that these machines are made you DO need to retime the machine to replace the foot, they are not interchangeable, you have to remove the hook assembly and the bar is one solid piece that goes right up into the machine head. It has to be pulled right out of the bushing (I think that's what it's called). The new machines come with a foot compatible with standard long arm rulers and I can buy an interchangeable foot for $140. But I'm thinking I might buy the plastic adapter for now but I'm curious if I'm going to be limited in the rulers that I can use. I'd like to buy some of Jamie Wallen's rulers and Dusty Ferrell's...but I don't want to waste my money if they not thick enough!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

gosh- i've never even heard of a 'ruler foot'...using the (base) so you have a flat surface to hold your ruler on- you just use the side of your hopping foot...which is why it's important to use rulers made for this- our cutting rulers are too thin- the foot can jump up onto the ruler- the quilting rulers are 3/8" or 1/2" thick-so the foot just travels along the side of the ruler.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
gosh- i've never even heard of a 'ruler foot'...using the (base) so you have a flat surface to hold your ruler on- you just use the side of your hopping foot...which is why it's important to use rulers made for this- our cutting rulers are too thin- the foot can jump up onto the ruler- the quilting rulers are 3/8" or 1/2" thick-so the foot just travels along the side of the ruler.
You know what, Handi Quilter and a few of the mid-arm/stretch machines call it a "ruler foot" so I guess that's why the name is stuck in my head. But truly, it's just a 1/2" foot with an elongated ring designed to ride next to rulers. My APQS has a thin ring...but I did stack two of my regular rotary cutting rulers up and it doesn't seem like it could jump over it.

It's so frustrating because you have to special order just about everything for a long arm...wish I could just run over to Jo Ann fabrics and buy rulers!!! Then I'd know - and I could return it same day too if it didn't work! LOL*
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM

I have actually not changed my foot out, but use the 3/8" rulers from my Innova dealer (Let's Quilt in St George, Utah). She also has templates.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
. But truly, it's just a 1/2" foot with an elongated ring designed to ride next to rulers. My APQS has a thin ring...but I did stack two of my regular rotary cutting rulers up and it doesn't seem like it could jump over it.
Wow APQS certainly does make it difficult for their users. I use rulers and templates all the time and my foot does not have any elongated ring for sliding next to the ruler. Most rulers are designed to accomodate many different machines. Quite honestly, I don't think you need a special foot, especially when you said the person you bought it from made do with the existing foot.

why don't you just go to your local Home Depot, Lowes or Building supply store and have them cut a piece of 1/4" plexiglass for you into a test "ruler" that measures about 3" x 6". It will most likely only cost you a few dollars (a glass shop would also have this). Then you can experiment using a ruler with your existing foot. Just go slow so your hopping foot doesn't hop up on the ruler and your needle hits and throws your machine out of timing. You won't quilt over your finger as long as you pay attention and don't go too fast. You may find you can easily quilt without the specialized foot APQS says you need. If you can do it with this test ruler, you should be able to do it with any 1/4" thick template or ruler.

As an aside, I do have Dusty's Flex II ruler. I don't find it near as nice as Ronda's curved rulers for curved cross hatch. Dusty's is nice for doing partial arcs but the marking on it doesn't make as pretty a curved cross hatch as Ronda's. JMHO Both are available on Quilters Rule website .

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-15-2013 at 06:48 AM.