View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Janis

I love to do hand applique. I make a finished size pattern out of freezer paper and iron it onto the wrong side. I then baste it rather than use the glue. I find that I can do inward and outward curves better that way. I do clip the inward points. I can then press it, and even use starch if I wish for a crisp edge. I also like to pin from the back side. As I applique, I take out my basting thread and remove the freezer paper before I finish the last stitches. With it pressed, the line of the applique is there when I take out the last of the freezer paper. I use, I think it is FRAY BLOCK, on points and anywhere I think I need a little help against fraying. It is the June Taylor one in the gray packaging and on the back of the package it tells to heat the tube under water and then to shake it before using. It goes on clear and dries clear, and doesn't have a shiny appearance when dry. It doesn't show at all that you used something, unlike some of the other fray stuff. I also use the straw needles.