View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Wanabee Quiltin

Default An odd thing happened yesterday.

My DH and I are snowbirds down here in Alabama for just a few more days. We have camped next to a couple who are very nice and are from our state, just about 70 miles away. Because I am a dedicated quilter, I brought two vintage sewing machines and then my DH bought another one from a thrift store while here. I was sewing on one vintage machine and the needle broke. Found out that the needle is much shorter than any others, after I had put in my newer ones. So machine #1 out. We started on the Pfaff and it works great except I have had tension problems. Finally on Saturday as I was just finishing my quilt, I told DH I was going to get this one fixed as soon as we get home. I have tried everything and I just can't get the tension perfect. Well, we went to eat yesterday and the couple next to us were there so we all sat together and we talked about my hobby of quilting. The woman said that the old ladies in their small town always brought their sewing machines and laid them on the porch for him to fix. I was amazed and asked him if he fixed sewing machines because I knew he had been a pipefitter. Well, guess what ? He worked for Singer fixing machines for years !!! So now he is fixing all three machines for me and I am going to buy him a gift certificiate at the restaurant he loves. Isn't it strange I just found this out but how lucky I am I am here for 2 more days!