Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An odd thing happened yesterday.

An odd thing happened yesterday.

My DH and I are snowbirds down here in Alabama for just a few more days. We have camped next to a couple who are very nice and are from our state, just about 70 miles away. Because I am a dedicated quilter, I brought two vintage sewing machines and then my DH bought another one from a thrift store while here. I was sewing on one vintage machine and the needle broke. Found out that the needle is much shorter than any others, after I had put in my newer ones. So machine #1 out. We started on the Pfaff and it works great except I have had tension problems. Finally on Saturday as I was just finishing my quilt, I told DH I was going to get this one fixed as soon as we get home. I have tried everything and I just can't get the tension perfect. Well, we went to eat yesterday and the couple next to us were there so we all sat together and we talked about my hobby of quilting. The woman said that the old ladies in their small town always brought their sewing machines and laid them on the porch for him to fix. I was amazed and asked him if he fixed sewing machines because I knew he had been a pipefitter. Well, guess what ? He worked for Singer fixing machines for years !!! So now he is fixing all three machines for me and I am going to buy him a gift certificiate at the restaurant he loves. Isn't it strange I just found this out but how lucky I am I am here for 2 more days!

Wow, that is great!!!

It's a small world full of wonderful people

Blog Entries
    You never know who you are going to meet. It would do well to keep in contact with your new friends

Right place at the right time!!

Wonderful for you, new friends and you get to go home with all your machines working.

Blog Entries
    This is exactly why I speak to people that are next to me anywhere. I have met some amazing people who surprise me with what they do or use to do or who they know.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    how fortunate!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

WOW!!!! You hit the jackpot. Congrats.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Small world sometimes. Congrats on your new friends!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Power Poster
    Congratulations! Do they come every year to the same spot? I think I would make a machine appointment for next year.

Blog Entries
    This is why I like to talk to strangers - even though my Mommy told me not to!

Sounds like the universe conspired to get you two together!

shows what good people there are in this world!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    There are no coincidences in life.
    I love the serendipity of it.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    That is great. I was talking to my friend in Canada and said that I was having problems with my machine. Lo and behold the next 2 weeks were gone and I found a new to me Singer machine in the post office. What great friends we have in the quilting world. She said she had an extra one so she let me have it. Ain't friends great? hehehhe
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Luck was on your side. I hate to have problems with my machines.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    What a small world it is .. and what a good thing for you !!!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

That is wonderful - you may want to keep in touch with them and camp near them next year!

Blog Entries
    That's serendipity!

Asking the right questions makes all the difference. Good to have smooth running machines again, eh?
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

What luck and the gift certificate is a nice payment. They sound like keepers.

Angels are always nearby.

Blog Entries
    Don't ya love lifes little surprises

Blog Entries
    what a heart warming story. what a small world and so good to have the right people brought your way, when you need theym most. Thanks for sharing this.

Vickey S.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    My DH and I are snowbirds down here in Alabama for just a few more days. We have camped next to a couple who are very nice and are from our state, just about 70 miles away. Because I am a dedicated quilter, I brought two vintage sewing machines and then my DH bought another one from a thrift store while here. I was sewing on one vintage machine and the needle broke. Found out that the needle is much shorter than any others, after I had put in my newer ones. So machine #1 out. We started on the Pfaff and it works great except I have had tension problems. Finally on Saturday as I was just finishing my quilt, I told DH I was going to get this one fixed as soon as we get home. I have tried everything and I just can't get the tension perfect. Well, we went to eat yesterday and the couple next to us were there so we all sat together and we talked about my hobby of quilting. The woman said that the old ladies in their small town always brought their sewing machines and laid them on the porch for him to fix. I was amazed and asked him if he fixed sewing machines because I knew he had been a pipefitter. Well, guess what ? He worked for Singer fixing machines for years !!! So now he is fixing all three machines for me and I am going to buy him a gift certificiate at the restaurant he loves. Isn't it strange I just found this out but how lucky I am I am here for 2 more days!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast