View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 AM
ninakk

Welcome to Alaska! Bethel definitely is something different, and quite an adventure. It sure is one of those 'once in a lifetime' kind of things that only so few of us have experienced.
I live in Anchorage area, and have been to Bethel a few times for work stuff. As an Alaskan village it is ok. I would take my quilting stuff with me if I were moving out there. There is not that much to do so you would probably get tons of quilts done while out there. Shipping of stuff can be a trouble since you have to rely on USPS solely, no UPS or Fedex available. So online orders will take a few extra days to get there but at least there is a post office and all in Bethel. Lots of people living out there do fly to Anchorage more or less frequently to do shopping since the local store has a pretty limited supply.

When ordering online, pay attention to the shipping rates. A few times I have been just rolling my eyes when the shipping charges to AK are almost as much as (or sometimes even more) than my whole purchase. Keepsake Quilting has been pretty good with online shipping.