View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 AM
kay carlson

I have a manual defrost 15 cf upright freezer. We have the basket at the bottom filled with bags of strawberries stacked vertically. (1 qt freezer bags frozen flat on jelly roll pan) Top shelf holds frozen sauces, soups, stews, and ice cream. (Uniform containers stack easily and fill space. Rows of similar items front to back.) Second shelf holds protein:beef, chicken, pork, sausages, etc. Small plastic basket at front holds block cheese. Third shelf holds loaves of bread, purchased frozen veggies, and preportioned items. Plastic containers contain portions of chopped celery, green pepper or onion wrapped in plastic sandwich bags twisted closed to expel air. One gallon freezer bags contain plastic sandwich bags of one cup portions of blueberries.Door shelves contain shredded cheese, veggies and juice concentrate.

Freezer is defrosted once yearly. Using warm gloves, empty contents into ice chests and/or boxes which can be place outdoors during cold winter day. Turn unit to defrost, line bottom on unit with heavy terry towel. Align two jelly roll pans side by side on next shelf up. Leave door open. Go play in your sewing room!

Scrape with ice scraper when appropriate. No need for boiling water in kettle. Relax. Sew! Freezer will be ready to be washed, wiped dry and reloaded within an hour or two. Turn cooling dial to max for first day only.

If you have problems with someone not closing the door tightly, use a piece of duct tape which should be easily lifted on one end. Teach yourself (and family members) to reattach the end firmly after closing the door.

I would be lost without my freezer as I make my own "convenience foods" which cut the grocery bill and allow more time for sewing! :-)

Last edited by kay carlson; 02-20-2013 at 07:27 AM.