Thread: quilting cruise
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM
thimblebug6000

We've all had different experiences on "quilting cruises". They SOUND fun... and I'm sure if organized correctly that they will be! We have been on many cruises.... my favourites were with Holland America..... BUT.... that said.... we had (out of business now) a LQS that decided to put on a cruise..... they advertised & we signed up for..... A trip to Houston for the International Quilt Festival... and then onto a cruise ship for a quilting journey...... we/I was naive.... it was organized .... or sort of.... the ship was with Carnival Cruise lines... we had never heard of them so didn't know they were "the party ships".....people staggering (yes staggering) around the decks with buckets of beer... The quilters aboard the ship didn't have a "big name sewing machine company" backing them.... so it was going to be all hand work... we knew this ahead of time & were happy with that.... BUT.... then.... when the time came to meet & stitch... where did the cruise ship place us? No ... not the library... although you could go there & sit & stitch if you wanted.... BUT... the actual class..... YES... they placed us in the DISCO room.... you can just picture us little OLD (or not so old) ladies.... sitting in white plastic chairs.... strobe lights overhead.... leaning this way & that to get the best light from those 6" x 10" windows.... SO MY ADVICE TO YOU.... have a blast...BUT make sure you check into the details before you sign on the dotted line. Alaska is a wonderful choice for a cruise.... we have made this trip in May and worn shorts the whole trip.... others did their trip in August & had rain the whole time...... We did the trip another time in Sept/Oct & had fantastic weather.....