View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Divokittysmom

Pat;
It depends upon what your dollar figure is for not much money. A Featherweight is going to be pricey, found mostly on Ebay for $300+ easily. I've been searching for over a year and finally decided that is just too much for a machine that only does a straight stitch. There are die hard FW fans on here, and I love them too, very much! However,I have decided to go newer, like brand new most likely. I am researching the Janome Jem which tons of people have on here.. and the Babylock Audrey. The Jem would be fine except I do alot of applique work and there is no blanket stitch on a Jem.. so I am looking at the BL Audrey more money but I am getting the stitches I need.
Also, Amazon carries the Brother lightweight machines as well as the Jem. Babylock is only sold at Dealerships. Singer also has a fairly lightweight machine as does Husqvarna Viking but it is 15 lbs. I have been typing in the different sewing machine companies and perusing their small lightweight machines and seeing what stitches they have. Just my 2 cents worth! Hope this helps

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
Ok, I need to know more about a lightweight sewing machine to take "on the road". I have a Brother XL-3500i which isn't that heavy but cumbersome.
If I were to get a Featherweight, where would I look? I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a second machine. What about the smaller machines meant for kids?
We have a 24 ft Aerolite by Dutchman travel trailer. Up until now I have hand sewn my projects.
Thanks!
Pat