Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

We just bought our first rv. It's an older class A, 38' with one slide out for the living/dining room. My thought is to get a couple of 2 drawer file cabinets or shelving blocks or maybe a couple of taller kitchen cabinets, and set a laminate counter top on them. I could set it all high enough and wide enough that the free standing dining table will nest under the sewing table to save room when I'm not using it.
    That's my thought. Give me all of your solutions!

We have a little 21 ft RV and last year was the first time I quilted in it. There's just enough room behind the coffee pot to store my Featherweight... and I did my piecing on the kitchen table. I know I've read lots of tips of storage etc. on the forum but can't quickly find it. There's one little article off site. http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ts_hobbies.php

But I also love to set my machine up and stitch outside. I make baggies of blocks before traveling. Name:  Yellowstone and Shipshewana 20121011 (Small).JPG
Views: 4691
Size:  52.6 KB
    Last edited by thimblebug6000; 03-03-2013 at 08:30 AM.

We have been talking about buying a RV and my only one request is that there is some place for my machine and storage of my current project.

I once took my sewing machine and all the fabric for my current project on the plane on one of our vacations. DH thought I was crazy, but while dh and ds watched their hours and hours of baseball I sat in the bedroom with chair and small table piecing my project. I so enjoyed it that I want to do it again.

Ah more success this search! (RV and camping) http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....archid=6039718

I take a sewing/embroidery machince combo on the RV. I cut my fabric before going and put the squares in baggies. I have plastic totes for my threads, sewing supplies, patterns and fabrics. I store them under the bed. As far as the actual sewing, I use the dining room table most of the time. We eat outside on the picnic table since the food is cooked on the grill, why drag it all back inside. If it's raining, cold and yucky then I do have the option of setting up one of those folding gray plastic tables either in the bedroom or living room. Our RV has 3 slides, two of them opposite of each other in the living room so I have a huge space available to sew. Hubby's flat screen in on the living room wall, he uses wireless headphones so I don't hear his TV and he doesn't hear my sewing machine. Another option if we eat inside is to use lap trays, I prepare the food and we sit on the couch or in the recliners with trays. I often sew outside if the weather is really nice, especially if we are at the ocean. A word of caution, do not leave your machine on the RV when it's stored, especially in damp or humid weather. RV's are not air tight, the machine will rust.

Blog Entries
    Not yet but that is how I want to retire. I have never traveled around the country and this would be the perfect way to have it all! I know there are companies out there that design RVs just for quilters. I have seen some and they are accomodating to the craft.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

We have a 35ft 5th wheel and I have FW, a small ironing board and travel size iron, a few rulers, rotary cutter and mat and a small fabric stash stored in it. It can be done and my DH does not mind that I have taken up some storage space for these things since it keeps me busy when the weather is not the best or he and the dog are gone on the trails since I can no longer do hikes because of bad joints.
    Lori - MamaBear

Ok, ok. You've talked me into buying a featherweight!

Elaine, I had a feeling we were sisters! And go to pictures and check out Lion!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    We have a little 21 ft RV and last year was the first time I quilted in it. There's just enough room behind the coffee pot to store my Featherweight... and I did my piecing on the kitchen table. I know I've read lots of tips of storage etc. on the forum but can't quickly find it. There's one little article off site. http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ts_hobbies.php

But I also love to set my machine up and stitch outside. I make baggies of blocks before traveling. Name:  Yellowstone and Shipshewana 20121011 (Small).JPG
Views: 4691
Size:  52.6 KB
    i LOVE this picture!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

We were in Jackson Hole and it was freezing cold wind outside BUT we had been able to bike & check out the quilt shop the day before. What a perfect place to spend time if you love biking on paved flat off road paths.

Oh so much info, after my month at Gulf Shores! Took my machine and materials for quilt I have been working on forever, forgot my 24" ruler and tried ripping (not too good for what I wanted). In the end I sewed 1 day, thought it was too hard and aggrivating, so put it all away. Now we are home and after getting everything put away will go back to my "fun". Of course it was a little too windy to sew outside but I would love to do that, looking at the Gulf. Sounds like perfection to me!!!

We're going to try full-timing it starting this summer...at least for a little while. Lease will be up on the house, DH's company just got bought, things are up in the air. We'll see how it goes. So bringing the sewing stuff just isn't an option-it's essential! It'll be 2 cats, one big, elderly dog, DH and me. Say prayers everyone. Say lots of prayers!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I quilt in our 5th wheel all the time! I always have a quilting project that I work on in the camper that is getting done totally by hand. I love doing hand piecing and quilting! I just keep that quilt in the camper and I can work on it inside the camper, outside the camper or while traveling down the road. You would be very surprised how quickly hand piecing and quilting can go.

Sometimes while we are off in the 5th wheel, and I have a special project that I am working on that I am using a machine for, I will bring my mom's old 301a along in the camper to use in the camper. It is really not much larger than a Featherweight and runs so beautifully quiet that I can use it at night after DH goes to bed and it does't bother him at all.

I always have a plastic Tupperware-type container with basic supplies in the camper - various threads, a mat, a couple rulers, a rotary cutter, pins, needles, etc. That just stays in the camper all the time. I don't keep any extra fabric in the camper, just what I need for my current projects that I am working on. If we were going to be gone for a longer period of time, I would plan ahead for a quilt and take a stack of fabric with matching thread, etc. for a longer term quilt. Of course, I would probably forget something that I needed which would necessitate finding a quilt shop along the way. ;-))

I would highly advise trying a hand quilting project to take along! I find working with a needle and thread by hand very soothing!

I also do quilting in RV and van. I take blocks in baggies and do alot by hand. I'm beginning a dear jane hand stitched on our trips this year. I do have a Janome Jem and some precuts that I carry along for those days in a motel while others do hikes and water events. Both things I don't do well. LOL. My hubby is a great enabler.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    Yes ! Got a Babylock Molly for our 29' travel trailer. One week in January we went to Florida. Completed a 12 shop Tampa area shop hop and pieced blocks also. It is awesome to sew outside and meet other quilters, neighbors more easily. This week in Florida I sewed mostly crumbs. Taking RV to Pigeon Forge this month for quilt show.

We R.V.'ed for 10 years and I had all my sewing things with us, used underneath for storage and in closet where there should have been washer and dryer we added many shelves. We also had storage under our dinning chairs, husband made. There will be plenty of places to put things as it was our home for those 10 years.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Oop's forgot the mats stood up behind couch. and I had my Vikning #1+ full size machine. I used dinning table and it worked just fine. Enjoy as you can always set up outside. Some parks have open rooms to use also, we also had crafts on one day of each week sometimes we all did the same thing other times we did our own thing. Who knows you may find quilting ladies along the way.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Welcome to the world of RV sewing!
    My husband is a semi-pro racer, so we are on the road most of the summer. I have a brother 500-d that fits perfectly in a closet compartment. I have a quilters tote that holds rulers, cutting implements, etc. I have a few small totes that have "kits" I make up to take with me. I usually take 7 to 8 as I get bored with one I can work on another.
    i used the ironing board from MSQC ( 24x24 board wrapped in toweling and wraped in a custom fabric "pillowcase") on the counter.
    Of course, I always keep a place available because you have to get fabric while on the road.

Blog Entries
    So glad I found this thread!!! DH and I just bought a 30ft travel trailer. We plan to spend a lot of time in it this summer but mainly at a local state park. How do you ladies (and gents) sew outside? We will be taking our E-Z Up screen room with us. Do you use a portable table or the provided picnic table? What about a chair to sit in?

I can sit at at the dinette table in the trailer to sew if it is rainy or bad outside. And I am working on a hexagon quilt by hand. I am so excited for warmer weather to get here!!!
    Sherri

Blog Entries
    We have a 30 foot trailer. I take my FW or my Janome gem. I found some interlocking cutting board pieces,and I take a couple of rulers,and stuff I need for a project. I do the piecing " on the road" and the quilting by hand or when I get home. We have a canopy that fits over the picnic table to hold off the sun, and a longggg extension cord. I've met a lot of wonderful quilters in campgrounds. If I buy much fabric...I mail it home to my good friends who is home all the time. The mail lady doesn't like boxes cluttering up her small space" she hates Christmas! LOL! )
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

mkc
    Great thread!

We're long-time RVers (40' DP with 2 slides) and I just got into quilting this year. I've been debating what to do for the RV season - whether to take a machine and exactly what to take. It won't be the Janome Horizon (aka The Beast) I bought just before New Years, that's for sure. My other option is the Elna Diva I have (and have rarely used) or trade either it or my old Bernina 180 (which doesn't want to power up all the way) towards something newer than the Diva - maybe a smaller Janome or Babylock.

Michelle

I have done sewing while camping in our RV. I found I could put cutting mat & rulers behind the sofa. Sewing machine under the table (so easy to pull out when ready). There is more space for things like a small ironing board in the 'lift up' under the bed.
    Seems though I read on some forum of caution of electric surges for computerized machines was something to be aware of. I like the idea mentioned here cutting out before you travel.

I always took my sewing with me & hit all the Quilt Shops in our travels. We put a three drawer plastic cabinet under the dining table & it stored all my bagged projects & the sewing machine fit under the bed. I also sewed outside in nice weather.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i LOVE this picture!
    me too! we have a pop up...i've never taken my fw (or other machine) with us...with us, the two kids and often two big dogs, not enough room, even though our pop up is huge! i do bring cross stitch or knitting with me though!!

Blog Entries
    We went RVing for 5 months last year in our 35 ft motor home. Under the bed was all of my supers and material. It was loaded. After stopping at most qut stores in each state I started looking for more storage space. Lol. I brought a portable table that GED and fit behind the sofa. This year I ordered a Gidget II and will be taking that with me. My machine a Quattro 6000D Brothers fits in the closet. I had a great time and ready to do it all over. Ed are headed for Peducah in April. I have signed up got two classes with Eleanor Burns. Can't wait. My DH finds all the quilt stores for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast