Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting. Anybody do it? >

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

RV Quilting. Anybody do it?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM
mkc

Great thread!

We're long-time RVers (40' DP with 2 slides) and I just got into quilting this year. I've been debating what to do for the RV season - whether to take a machine and exactly what to take. It won't be the Janome Horizon (aka The Beast) I bought just before New Years, that's for sure. My other option is the Elna Diva I have (and have rarely used) or trade either it or my old Bernina 180 (which doesn't want to power up all the way) towards something newer than the Diva - maybe a smaller Janome or Babylock.

Michelle
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM

I have done sewing while camping in our RV. I found I could put cutting mat & rulers behind the sofa. Sewing machine under the table (so easy to pull out when ready). There is more space for things like a small ironing board in the 'lift up' under the bed.
Seems though I read on some forum of caution of electric surges for computerized machines was something to be aware of. I like the idea mentioned here cutting out before you travel.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 AM

I always took my sewing with me & hit all the Quilt Shops in our travels. We put a three drawer plastic cabinet under the dining table & it stored all my bagged projects & the sewing machine fit under the bed. I also sewed outside in nice weather.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i LOVE this picture!
me too! we have a pop up...i've never taken my fw (or other machine) with us...with us, the two kids and often two big dogs, not enough room, even though our pop up is huge! i do bring cross stitch or knitting with me though!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 AM

We went RVing for 5 months last year in our 35 ft motor home. Under the bed was all of my supers and material. It was loaded. After stopping at most qut stores in each state I started looking for more storage space. Lol. I brought a portable table that GED and fit behind the sofa. This year I ordered a Gidget II and will be taking that with me. My machine a Quattro 6000D Brothers fits in the closet. I had a great time and ready to do it all over. Ed are headed for Peducah in April. I have signed up got two classes with Eleanor Burns. Can't wait. My DH finds all the quilt stores for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM

Ioftenneedle prompted me to reply. We have a 30 foot 5th wheel and travel quite often. I always take a surge protector because campgrounds of state parks can be prone to power problems. I have a FW. I box up three projects prior to leaving home so I have a variety of things. One is always a "hand" quilting project. Another is in the just cut and "kitted" stage. When inside I set my machine up on the dining table- I set it down onto a chair at the table when we eat-then it is ready to slide over and continue sewing when the meal is over-no set up again and again. I quilt what I have pieced when I get home. I also love to quilt outside-I meed the most interesting people and even had the opportunity to encourage others to start quilting on the road. I have met several ladies who felt camping kept them from being productive. By prioritizing and doing the smaller things-piecing and and hand work while traveling allows for feelings of accomplishment. I love sewing and camping!There is a plastic box for every need and one for every space. Plastic boxes allow you to move in and out easily.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 AM

Thimblebug, I love your picture you look so happy to be there doing that! I love traveling and quilting. We have a 35ft FW(fifthwheel) and I take way too much every time. Last year we were going to be gone for the winter and I took my Bernina,and my FW (featherweight). I always overpack! Never know when you'll need it. I store most stuff in the storage under the bed, my mini ironing board goes alongside the couch, the cutting mat under the couch (lay flat) Everything else including new purchases goes in the closet. I so love to sew outside, also. When inside I use the kitchen table and also have a small table that we often use outside for a serving table that I can use to increase my work space inside. My machines travel under the table. I have to have at least one machine with me cause DH likes to go cruising around the areas on his scooter and my sewing gives me my fun. And if he's gone all day-I have fun all day, too. win win
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 AM

As you can see by my name I am a RV quilter. Our 38 foot motorhome is our home. I keep my Janome 6600 in a wheeled case behind the drivers seat. Big cutting board and ruler are kept under the mattress. Miscellaneous supplies (ripper, scissors, pins, etc) are kept in plastic basket under my chair at table. Fabric is under the bed, in cupboards,in our basement and wherever else I can stash it. I do my cutting, piecing and sewing and sometimes ripping at our table 30x36. Once you get your system down it works well. Yes, I move my machine alot as we eat at our table. Bigger quilt pieces being constructed hang on the back of the drivers seat. I layout smaller quilts on the bed. Larger ones I sandwich in the clubhouse by pushing tables together. The queen and king ones go to my longarm gal so not a problem. I never quilted until we went fulltime, retirement gives you times to find something you really like to do. We love the RV life traveling seeing our beautiful country, meeting new people and finding lots and lots of quilt shops. Yes, my husband is an enabler. Try it, you'll like it!!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 AM

We have a 30 ft. Class A. I love to take my applique or cross stitch with me. The natural daylight is great. I always have something with me. I leave all of the machine work at home. I have met some great quilters and stitchers in general while working on a project. Always something to share with each other. The weight of the machine and all of the tools was a concern, so I have my hand work, and I really don't like the idea of my machine near the salt and sand, especially when it's blowing! Everyone has a different idea, and a different solution, and I love to hear them all! Happy quilting, and happy camping!!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 AM

We have a 37ft fifth wheel toy hauler with 2 slides. The "garage" is where the Harley travels until we get to our destination. Then it becomes my sewing room! I usually bring a very small brother embroidery machine, ( Disney) I always have to try to remember just what I might need while we are gone. We leave the cold weather for 5 months. I have been thinking of making a box with everything I will use and just leave it in he RV. That might simplify packing. I always bring lots more "things" then I need! I don't have a lot of time to work on my quilts but I enjoy it when I can. I agree with Anita....do not like the sand and sea near the machines. It is really nice to open the big back door to the ocean and sew but I found that my fabric and machine got salt residue all over so now I keep the door closed...when I want to see th ocean I go outside. I am going to check out some of the links mentioned. Who knew there was so much information. Just love all the stuff I learn on this board!