View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
quiltingnd

Default So upset over a border! :(

A friend had me pick out some fabric colors that were her daughter's favorite colors to make a quilt for her upcoming birthday. (she did pay me for the fabric) When it came to picking the fabric for the border, I didn't have a bunch of options and picked one that I thought would work...never considering that it had lines in it.

So, today after using the border calculator to see how big I could get the border, I settled on a nice 5 inch border for size. It never occured to me that the pattern itself wouldn't square when I squared the fabric before cutting. So cut away I did. I cut all the strips of 5 1/2 inches and sewed them together.

That's when I notice the pattern lines are not straight with my cuts. There is only ONE way to fix this that I can think of. The pattern has blocks of 2 inches. I could go and cut the fabric to follow the lines of the block and lose 3 1/2 inches of border all the way around. But at least the pattern would look straight and follow my sewing line. OR I can just leave it. It's being made for a 9 yr old little girl. How much will she notice a wonky pattern?

Hubby says to leave it and not stress over it as my friend isn't paying me to make it....but I feel like if I leave it then it isn't the best that I could do...and it's not perfect. (not that any of my quilts have been perfect.) This is only my 4th lap size quilt that I've ever made. (I did make two TINY baby blankets, but not sure if they count.)

What should I do? Just leave it as is? At least it would have a nice size and proportionate border...or cut it down to 2 inches (which would be be down to 1 1/2 after seams allowance). (And the lattice is a full two inches in width.)

No chance of buying more fabric as I took what was left on the bolt.

I'm stumped and developing a headache from worrying about it.

Last edited by quiltingnd; 03-09-2013 at 04:19 PM.