Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM
dabbler312

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
Tonight bored, hungry, can't sleep. I am listening to the frogs. boy are they loud tonight. Spring is almost here. The sounds of spring/summer in the woods at night. Whoever said the woods are silent has not lived there. Crickets, frogs yikes its a symphony.
The summer of my 16th year was special for me - I spent a whole summer working in a youth conservation corps group in Northern Minnesota; it was my dream job at the time. We lived in tents set up on platforms for the entire summer - no electricity except what the generator produced at the mess hall - we had shower rooms with skylights - no evening showers - no lights; we clearcut land for the forest service; we cleared out beaver damned creeks and small rivers; we pruned trees and we took turns going out with the water conservation officer to test lake water - we had to port the canoe from lake to lake in certain areas. We worked hard - it was an experience of a lifetime and I think every youth in our country could benefit from a similar program - work for tuition. It would be a win win for all involved. I learned to appreciate the outdoors and all it's glory a long time ago; oh brat let me come live in your woods for a summer.