Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
ArchaicArcane

Default Height adjustable desk that can recess a machine - it's true!

I was going to post this in the vintage machines forum, because that's where I spend the most of my time on the QB, but I hope that posting here can help more people out.

A few weeks ago, I started planning out a desk that could accommodate any machine I have. It had to be able to recess a machine so the bed was flat with the table top. The biggest stumbling block I ran into was the height differences of all of the machines. A couple of days ago, I read a thread where someone mentioned they'd love this sort of thing, but had too many machines, it wasn't possible. So I "hurried" to get it all finished up so I could post this.

The best part is, I did this on a budget almost anyone can afford (and if you can buy 2m of fabric, you can afford this! ) And this will save your neck, back, shoulders and wrists a lot of grief, so you can quilt longer. Yay!!

As of tonight, I have only finishing touches to do on it: Some extra customization to the inserts, and shortening the "height adjusters" so I don't bang my knees on them.

The victim,.. uhm,... I mean the "desk" is a government surplus buy: $10
Modifications: $20
Lexan for inserts: Sweat equity - a friend who does signs had scraps left, I helped out with some signage. Off-cuts should be cheap at a sign shop, or a glass shop.

Total $$ investment: $30.

With the 201 in it, and an insert
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401626[/ATTACH]

As a light table:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401627[/ATTACH]

A view from the front:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401628[/ATTACH]

A view of the "height adjustment" mechanism:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401629[/ATTACH]

Height adjustment is accomplished via the following hardware:
  • 4 pentagon Knobs - or any knob you can get a good grip on to turn
  • 4 propell nuts - these are "sunk" into the lower platform that you see in the photo above
  • threaded rod
  • 4 nuts to fit the threaded rod - tighten these against the knobs so that they don't turn, and instead turn the rod up or down.
  • 4 wing nuts (not shown) - tighten these against the propell nuts to lower vibration
  • 4 cabinet nuts - use these as "platforms" for the moving shelf to sit on, install them on the top of the threaded rod.

And most importantly, final approval from the quilt inspectors:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]401630[/ATTACH]

At least I think that's approval...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]401631[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5309.jpg   img_5285.jpg   img_5308.jpg   img_5281.jpg   img_5252.jpg  

img_5268.jpg