View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 PM
pyffer3

Well, I must confess what I have been purchasing. I have bought blankets (feels simular to an electric blanket, only thinner) at $5.00 for twin size at the local dollar store. I have only completed 3 quilts and two more I am currently glueing together to get ready for quilting this weekend/next week. I use these blankets for my batting. Then I purchase twin size sheets from Wal-Mart at $4.97 for the backing. I know these are probably not "real" quilting items, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money because 1. I wasn't sure I would like quilting and 2. I am on a budget too. I have purchased good fabric for the quilt tops....Connecting Threads, Ebay, JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby. So, I figured up what I spent on the quilt I am currently working on for my sister's wedding gift. It's just a lap size. I bought the fabric in the clearance section on Connecting Threads for the top, spent about $16.00 with enough left over to make a couple of throw pillos, $5.00 for the blanket/batting, $4.97 for the sheet backing, $3.00 for the thread, and I did purchase more fabric for the binding - about $6.00. So, I only have about $35.00 total into the quilt. I don't think that's bad and I can afford to keep quilting. Also, those soft, fleecy throws are only $2.50 at the local dollar store and made a perfect backing for a large baby blanket I recently finished for my first grandchild. After using the blanket for batting I went back to the dollar store and bought all they had so I have 4 more left to use. So, I guess I am mindful of the expense associated with quilting. Fabric is really expensive!