View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 11:58 AM
dottiequilts

Yes the SF101 says that is is for garment construction. The first big redwork quilt that I did was the Winter Wonderland (back in 2007) and I basted muslin on the back as she recommended. I then did her Over the River, The Night Before Christmas, Calendula Patterdrip and the other halloween quilt from crabapple hill and found that I liked the SF101 better. The pieces for this are very large and basting muslin on the back absolutely smoothly was a bit problematic when doing wonderland and calendula, so I tried this fusible interfacing and liked how smooth everything looked. It does not make it harder to stitch and actually gives the fabric a little body. If you are having difficulty stitching, then you should try the needles I mentioned in an earlier post. A needle tapered all the way from end to end makes getting tiny stitches a lot easier. In my personal opinion when you are heavily embroidering a big piece of fabric that will later be quilted, it needs to be stabilized either by hand basting muslin on the back or using the SF 101.