View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Traditional Quilter

For hand quilting I have used Roxanne's and Thimblelady's thimbles and liked them quite well. I recently bought a T.J.Lane which isn't as bulky as the Roxanne and Thimblelady. I bought one for my finger and my thumb. I need a silver thimble because of skin allergies. All of these thimbles allow you to push the needle with the pad of your finger rather than the end. Having said all that, a thimble is a personal choice. For hand quilting, I recommend finding a thimble that is comfortable to wear. If you quilt with the rocking stitch, make sure it has deep dimples to hold your needle. Try the thimble on and shake your hand. If it doesn't come off, it's a good fit. I must warn you that our hands change sizes from day to day. If your thimble becomes loose, just dampen your finger (I just lick mine) and it will fit. If it's tight, I just wear it until it eventually fits again. I wash mine with soap and water periodically to get rid of the body oils that causes it to slip.

I do not use the same thimble for quilting and sewing. I use a traditional thimble with a flat end for sewing, embroidery, etc. I don't remember the brand, but I've had it for years and take great care to not lose it.

If you have no allergies, start with an inexpensive thimble. When you find a style you like you can upgrade later if you choose. If the metal thimbles you have tried on are too tight, you just haven't found the proper size.