Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble for beginning hand quilter >

Thimble for beginning hand quilter

Thimble for beginning hand quilter

Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM

I like the same two as OCquilter. Cheap and comfortable. I like metal ones, but after a while, the ridge at the bottom (where the opening is) rubs on the finger next to it and irritates me.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
My favorite thimble is from Clover. It's made of silicone with a metal tip.
Very comfortable and doesn't slip off.
This is my favorite thimble as well. But, any thimble will take getting used to.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Hum, I don't use thimbles. As everyone else has stated it has to be either a personal choice or you work at it till you get accustomed to it. For me, I'm impatient so I blew off the thimbles and now only use the little leather pads that have glue on the back of them. I go through them quickly, but I feel like I'm actually using my finger and never have my needle roll off. As far as quilting upwards , I just use my thumbs fingernail. It is what you get used to.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Traditional Quilter View Post
For hand quilting I have used Roxanne's and Thimblelady's thimbles and liked them quite well. I recently bought a T.J.Lane which isn't as bulky as the Roxanne and Thimblelady. I bought one for my finger and my thumb. I need a silver thimble because of skin allergies. All of these thimbles allow you to push the needle with the pad of your finger rather than the end. Having said all that, a thimble is a personal choice. For hand quilting, I recommend finding a thimble that is comfortable to wear. If you quilt with the rocking stitch, make sure it has deep dimples to hold your needle. Try the thimble on and shake your hand. If it doesn't come off, it's a good fit. I must warn you that our hands change sizes from day to day. If your thimble becomes loose, just dampen your finger (I just lick mine) and it will fit. If it's tight, I just wear it until it eventually fits again. I wash mine with soap and water periodically to get rid of the body oils that causes it to slip.

I do not use the same thimble for quilting and sewing. I use a traditional thimble with a flat end for sewing, embroidery, etc. I don't remember the brand, but I've had it for years and take great care to not lose it.

If you have no allergies, start with an inexpensive thimble. When you find a style you like you can upgrade later if you choose. If the metal thimbles you have tried on are too tight, you just haven't found the proper size.
I forgot to mention that I use Aunt Becky's Finger underneath the quilt. However, I recently bought T. J. 's Quick Quilter, the spoon Jinny Beyer uses and recommends. I haven't quite perfected using it yet, but it already has given me a couple stitches more per inch.