Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble for Hand Quilters >

Thimble for Hand Quilters

Thimble for Hand Quilters

Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM

DH came home the other day with a package called "under thimble". It's great for me. Round metal disc with a cushion that sticks to my middle finger on my hand that stays under the quilt. No more sticks in my finger because I can feel when the needle touches the thimble. Didn't think I would like it but I do. Comes with several of the cushions and they can be replaced when needed.

He found it at a quilt shop when he was out by himself. He's always trying to find something to make my quilting life easier. This is only my second quilt and he's really excited about my new venture. He grew up watching his grandmother quilt.

I've been using a #10 quilting needle and decided to try the #11. Decided I'm more comfortable with the larger #10. Using the #11 felt like I was working too hard and enjoying the process less. Think I'll stick with the #10.

Anyone else experience this same thing?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM

I have those thimbles, they are the only thimbles I can use successfully.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 PM

I use #10 all the time. I'm still trying to keep those stitches consistent. I need a thimble for underneath. It's become a bit of a joke about blood on the quilt. I'll poke my finger a little too hard and the kids yell, "alllll righttt, blood on the quilt!"
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Wow, I think your greatest find is that husband of yours! Super sweet of him to bring you home a quilting notion!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I use #10 for quilting. Must look for "under thimble" as my third finger is like a pincushion today after 3 days hand quilting.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MZStitch
Wow, I think your greatest find is that husband of yours! Super sweet of him to bring you home a quilting notion!
I agree!! What a sweetie! I need to look for one of those too.
Thanks for the suggestion!
HAHAHAH I just re-read this and it reads like I'm looking for a new husband!! Actually I'm pretty happy with mine lol
Old 07-23-2010, 04:33 PM

I also use the one they make for the top hand (with dimples in it), I couldnt get used to the bulk of a regular thimble and love these. My husband thinks he knows everything better than I do, so I dont want him in my quilting also!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by spinnergs
I also use the one they make for the top hand (with dimples in it), I couldnt get used to the bulk of a regular thimble and love these. My husband thinks he knows everything better than I do, so I dont want him in my quilting also!
I use them both all the time too! Everytime someone asks I recommend them--couldn't quilt without them.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:04 PM

What kind of thimble do you use on top. A regular thimble drives me crazy.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom
What kind of thimble do you use on top. A regular thimble drives me crazy.
The one with the dimples goes on top to help control the needle and the smooth one goes on the bottom so the needle glances off it.