View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 AM
quilter2090

I am planning on making a baby serger quilt. I was looking at the Bernina videos on The Quilt Show and came across a video I really liked, it's titled One Step Quilting. It shows how to make a reversible quilt, I thought it was neat. They were show how to make a bookcover, but it would work on a quilt as well. I thought it would be great for baby quilts. Nancy Zieman says that she uses a serger often to quilt with. I am a little confused by the post that state that it is very hard to make a 1/4 inch seam. When you use the serger for garment sewing, you have to keep a consistent seam allowance or your garment won't fit. If you have problems getting a accurate 1/4 inch seam, use a seam guide. That being said, it would be difficult to piece some quilt patterns with a serger, patterns that require you to stop a 1/4 inch from the end of the seam that would be hard. I have seen people make drunkard's path with a serger, turned out perfect. I think is a reluctance sometimes to embrace new tech. Don't be afraid to try new techniques. When I read some of the posts here, there seems to be a reluctance to try something new. I always think that's a little silly, it's just fabric. Experiment with the serger for yourself and see if you like using it. It's just some fabric, that's all you will have to lose. I love, love,love, to try new techniques,new patterns,to spread my wings and try new things. Good Luck!