View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
G'ma Kay

Originally Posted by DonnaC
Family Fun, may I just say how much I LOVE YOU for posting this question! I had never thought of this before but just had to try it.

This is a Clifford the Big Red Dog panel I was working on for a charity quilt. I took the panel, removed all of those nasty old quilting safety pins (LOL), and simply basted around the four edges of the quilt sandwich with my sewing machine. I then took the sandwich and laid it carefully over my Q-Snap floor frame, snapping on the two shorter edges and then the longer ones. (This takes a little maneuvering when working alone, but it's do-able.) I used my Dritz quilt basting gun to shoot the basting pieces into the quilt... it worked perfectly! The quilt stayed drum-tight in the frame. And the best part was no bending over or crawling around on the floor trying to baste. I can't wait to try this with a larger quilt!

In these photos, you can see the quilt in the frame, then the basting gun working its magic, and the underside of the quilt showing the plastic pieces poking through.

I learn amazing things on this Board every single day!!
I think this would work if you spray basted before you put it in the frame. I would think machine basting the edges would be asking for puckers at the edges after the middle was basted.