Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 AM
frudemoo

Question Help!! Singer 27-2 treadle purchase - how much to pay?

Hi to all Singer treadle enthusiasts out there

I've been doing hours and hours of intensive research to learn as much as I can about Singer treadle machines so I can make my all-important first ever purchase. I'm really excited about it as it looks as though I'm bidding to win on my first machine. It's an 1895 27-2 Sphynx decal treadle - in the original cabinet (which I absolutely love).

It looks like the decals are all there.... BUT - the seller's pic is blurry and quite small, so it's not a lot to go by. It's enough to ID the decals and the model, but not the definitive quality of the decals or finish and amount of rust etc. Having said that, the cabinet looks great and is probably worth squabbling over all on its own I get the overall sense that the machine has probably not been used much judging by the condition of the cabinet and the shine reflected back of the machine head - which is partially what is making the image unclear.

I've tried contacting the seller to ask about whether I could come and inspect the machine and she said no. I actually think it's fair enough as she listed the machine with no reserve and probably doesn't want the hassle - so apart from answering simple questions, she obviously sits firmly in the 'take it or leave it' camp.

So................ that leaves me to decide how to proceed. I'm currently the highest bidder but I'm worried about a last minute flurry of activity and want to be sure I can secure it. Is there anyone out there with experience in this? Have you bought a machine without inspecting it? Is that okay or am I completely mad??

If anyone out there knows the upper value of a machine like this, which looks like it's in excellent condition given its age ...what would be your highest bid?

As an aside, I also have the opportunity to purchase a later Model 15K that also has the Sphynx decals in absolutely pristine condition, but the seller wants $250 Ideally, I would take the 15K head and the 1895 cabinet to create my 'dream machine' but I think that dream is fading fast.....

Cheers,
Amelia
(in Australia)