Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help!! Singer 27-2 treadle purchase - how much to pay? >

Help!! Singer 27-2 treadle purchase - how much to pay?

Help!! Singer 27-2 treadle purchase - how much to pay?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Amelia,

I am partial to the Singer 66s, especially for treadle use. They are easy to use, reliable, common, parts are available but not usually needed, and most of them use the standard low shank feet.

If I was actually looking for a treadle machine to use, I'd be looking for a Singer 66.

Joe
Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Amelia,

I am partial to the Singer 66s, especially for treadle use. They are easy to use, reliable, common, parts are available but not usually needed, and most of them use the standard low shank feet.

If I was actually looking for a treadle machine to use, I'd be looking for a Singer 66.

Joe
But since I have two of them already, I'm not looking. Not bragging either, just being honest.

Also if you can find a nice Singer cabinet, and a later 66-16 with the stitch length lever that has the back tack on it, that would be a smoking good set up.

Joe
Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 PM

I have a 66 and I love it. It has the prettiest stitch. When I bought it the wiring was bad, someone had put a motor on it, I just took that off and made it a treadle.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Also if you can find a nice Singer cabinet, and a later 66-16 with the stitch length lever that has the back tack on it, that would be a smoking good set up.
Joe
I'll definitely keep that in mind Joe - now that I have a very nice cabinet indeed!!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Here in the US, they go for much less than that. In fact, my last 2 were free. However, not knowing what the market is like where you are, things could be much different. Most sellers take whatever the market will allow. $250 might not be a bad deal in AU.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
$250 might not be a bad deal in AU.
Free is always the right price .... It's really weird here. People ask heaps of money for them but then either don't sell them, or randomly sell them for heaps more than they're worth - which THEN perpetuates the unrealistic expectations of future sellers and they get listed for higher and higher prices... My sewing machine mechanic tells me he gets offered treadles all the time from people who are ready to chuck them to make space. Unfortunately I wasn't one of his benefactors...
I ended up paying $100 for the 27-2. I figure it was at the top end of what it was worth. The cabinet is original and in beautiful condition. The machine's decals are 90% intact. All the parts were there. For such an old machine, I think that's okay. It's got the added bonus of being exactly as pictured in the 1896 instruction manual ........ Notice that I'm all perky now that I've finished polishing all that metal!!