Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
AlienQuilter

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
So I'm wanting to make my first baby quilt - hand tied. Would flannel instead of batting work well for this?
I don't see why not. But, if you have one of the newer machines with lots of pretty decorative stitches, why not tack it down with a decorative stitch, like a flower, in the center of each block?

I made a quilt for my oldest son - Fons and Porter Brick pattern - and used flannel for the top, batting, and backing. It made for a very soft quilt. Did just a simple "X" on each brick. Remember, batting has always been around. I did not learn about "batting" until after I retired and started quilting again - only using more modern methods. When I was a teenager, my Aunt taught me how to quilt using an old sheet cut up into squares for foundation piecing strip blocks and using wool Army blankets inside. We used 1" X 2" X 7' boards hung form the ceiling and clamps and rolled the quilts on the long boards and tied using crochet thread. Some people used yarn. Never even thought of using a machine to "quilt" the layers together.

Last edited by AlienQuilter; 03-26-2013 at 07:58 AM.