Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Be careful. The Voyager 17 is a heavy machine (about 65 lbs) and a lot of frames cannot handle its weight. The Voyager is usually placed on a Hinterberg stretch frame because the Hinterberg can handle its weight without distorting, and the Hinterberg carriage has very good bearings that allow for easy control even with that weight. I don't know specifically about your frame, but I have heard that the Grace frames -- while fine for lighter weight machines -- do not handle the Voyager well.

I bought my Voyager and Hinty frame used from a quilt guild member. You might be better off selling your setup and buying a Voyager/Hinty combination to replace it. If you belong to a quilt guild, you might be able to set a pile of ads for your setup on the table at a meeting; that is how I found my setup.

I love my Voyager and frame. It has been carefree for me and very easy to use. I do not have a stitch regulator on it either. Plan to freehand for at least a year and plan to get a stitch regulator only if I decide I want to get into ruler work.

My used Voyager/Hinty without stitch regulator (but with extras such as bobbin winder) was $3,000 but someone else on the board near Chicago was able to purchase a used Voyager/Hinty with stitch regulator for about $2,300.

I have read of quilters using the QCC on a Voyager/Hinty setup. Not sure how it would work with a different frame.