Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
have short arm , craving longarm, trying to justify >

have short arm , craving longarm, trying to justify

have short arm , craving longarm, trying to justify

Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM

Lightbulb have short arm , craving longarm, trying to justify

Hi, everyone, I have a Juki 98 with a Quilters Cruise Control mounted on a Proflex Superquilter. Excellent machine, good frame, good cruise control. My problem is the 9" throat on the Juki. I'm looking at a Voyager 17, (it will fit my frame) but will my cruise control work on the Voyager? Cost is prohibitive to replace cruise control, so I looked at buying a Quilters Cruise Control and see they are supposed to fit the Voyager but do I need an adapter of some kind? I kind of remember when I bought the frame used it had had a Juki on it & the seller gave me a new QCC cause she kept the Juki but didn't want to quilt any longer and because I had a free CC I bought a new Juki. Now I want a longer throat, after quilting a couple of quilts it is a real pain to advance the quilt every 5 or so inches. Trying to keep cost down, am senior, on fixed income and want setup for personal use, charity quilts, & quilting for club. Thanks for any input. Sandee
Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 PM

You have outgrown your current machine. Remember you are worth the expense of a new machine - it will give you lots of joy!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Be careful. The Voyager 17 is a heavy machine (about 65 lbs) and a lot of frames cannot handle its weight. The Voyager is usually placed on a Hinterberg stretch frame because the Hinterberg can handle its weight without distorting, and the Hinterberg carriage has very good bearings that allow for easy control even with that weight. I don't know specifically about your frame, but I have heard that the Grace frames -- while fine for lighter weight machines -- do not handle the Voyager well.

I bought my Voyager and Hinty frame used from a quilt guild member. You might be better off selling your setup and buying a Voyager/Hinty combination to replace it. If you belong to a quilt guild, you might be able to set a pile of ads for your setup on the table at a meeting; that is how I found my setup.

I love my Voyager and frame. It has been carefree for me and very easy to use. I do not have a stitch regulator on it either. Plan to freehand for at least a year and plan to get a stitch regulator only if I decide I want to get into ruler work.

My used Voyager/Hinty without stitch regulator (but with extras such as bobbin winder) was $3,000 but someone else on the board near Chicago was able to purchase a used Voyager/Hinty with stitch regulator for about $2,300.

I have read of quilters using the QCC on a Voyager/Hinty setup. Not sure how it would work with a different frame.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM

I would suggest contacting both the Proflex and Quilters Cruise Control companies. Ask them directly if the machine will fit on the Proflex and the QCC will fit on the machine. Only they will know if they are compatable. I have successfully sold 2 set ups. The buyers were happy and so was I.