View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Wonnie

That's a shame, Mary. It seems like you sure do have to work a lot of 12 hr. shifts. Do you work days into evening or evenings into nights. Sure doesn't leave you much time for yourself or family. They wanted to start 12 hr. shifts where I worked but I fought against it. Out of 27 years I was on call one week out of every month and on 5 week months someone always got it twice. You would pull your shift and just be crawling into bed when the phone would ring and one of the nurses had called in and if you couldn't find someone to take their place (which happened a lot!) you had to go back in and work their shift then stay in the morning till someone would come in to cover your you had to scheduled shift. If we had to work a 12 hr. shift like the owner wanted, and were on call to boot, it would mean if someone called in and you couldn't replace them you would have to go in and work another 12 hr shift on top of the 12 you just worked.....didn't seem really safe to me for the patients. He finally listened.