Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM
be a quilter

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
I have been able to influence two young ladies to make a quilt each. One is a granddaughter and the other is my youngest DDIL. Both of them chose to quilt on the regular sewing machine, but they have done way less quilting than seems necessary to me. I mentioned to the mother of my GD that her quilt needing more to "hold it together" but she just made the statement, "It has enough."

Now what? I was the one to buy the fabric and batting for the granddaughter and I know the batting is cotton--Warm-n-Natural. Then the DDIL (a different son's wife) has just sent me photos of a double bed quilt with a panel she put blocks around and then a very wide border. She has only quilted around the panel and the small blocks around that. It looks nice, but I am concerned when it is washed, the batting will fall down inside.

Any suggestions about how to approach them without causing hard feelings? Any tutorials you know of that deal with that issue?
I would tell the GD how nice of a job she did and then ask her how it went for her and if she liked quilting. At this point you could ask her if she knew that most battings have different requirements for sewing and go with what she says. I would mention that the quilt will fall down inside if there are not enough stitches and then let it up to her. Same approach with the DIL. I understand people have to learn the hard way sometimes but sometimes they just don't know and appreciate help. I would not have known that if someone didn't tell me when I started to quilt. If quilting is not for them, so be it, but they may just not know and might appreciate the help. imho