View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Stitch124

Default Husbands/SO and Quilting

So, is your husband/so involved with your quilting/sewing passion? Does he 'love-it' or 'hate-it'? Does he provide help/money/feedback to encourage or discourage you?

My DH is awesome! Here's why...my DH and I have been married for 8 yrs. All of those years my DD has lived with us. Yep...we've never gotten to be alone and spend time 'getting used to living together.' The DD and GDs where always in need of our attention. She was on-again and off-again with her ex-bf for the first 3 years, and had two children. Her car kept breaking down, and of course, no child support was ever received. Lots of stress, drama, babysitting on our part. Now the ex-bf is history (thank God) and the DD and GDs are in their own house 10 minutes down the road. She finally realized she needed to get out on her own and probably got tired of living with us too! They had so much stuff, clutter, toys, clothes, shoes everywhere I felt so claustrophobic ALL the time. Talk about high-blood pressure. I never could keep my house, bathrooms or kitchen clean, much less keep up with laundry!

It's hard to explain how wonderful it feels to have so much room now, even in such a small house. We've had to do a lot of 'damage-control' repairs on the walls, floors, doors, molding, door-knobs, etc. We replaced carpet with flooring in both rooms, painted the bunkbeds and touched up the walls. Now, I finally have my own girlie-cave! I was single for 15 years before we got married and I really cherished my 'alone time', which I NEVER had after I got married and especially when DD and GDs were living with us.

My sweet DH has been so supportive and he loves the GDs like they were his own. But now he also loves going places together more than ever. He even attended a quilt show, one of my guild meetings, and has been to the LQS with me. He appreciates the talent and creativity it takes to make quilts/knit sweaters. He even suggested I get a Handi-quilter and start selling quilts one day. He understands I need my space after working all day. Now that we have our house back and he is retired, he stays home all day and looks for work on the internet, attacks his honey-do list occasionly, reads and does research. Learning is his hobby! What a nerd! LOL

So the other day he comes to me and said he needs to set up an office in the small bedroom next to the sewing room so we can 'see each other' in the evening, since I spend my evenings in there cutting, piecing and sewing. Usually he's in the living room watching FoxNews, boxing/sports or the History or NatGO, or just falls asleep on the couch.

NOOOOO! I don't want company!! I like my girlie - cave....no men allowed!!! I will get up and walk to the LR to take a break and visit for a few mins. then it's back to my cave.

It's funny how women need their 'girlie-cave' just as much as men need their 'man-cave' (his is his garage).

Attached is a pic of us last Christmas at the local town square Christmas party.

I'm a lucky girl!!!
Attached Thumbnails dsc03778.jpg