Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 PM
pumpkinpatchquilter

For the longest time I didn't want to be mean or rude and say no. I thought that if I said no to making things for others that I was being selfish...but while I appreciate that people like my quilting...I just cannot accommodate every person who asks me to make something for them, because it seems that it happens often and much of the time the people who ask have no concept or care for how much it costs me to make these things or how much time it takes. I used to dance around it and say I was just so busy but these days I just flat out say that I have limited my personal sewing to a few things here and there for my parents and my kids. I would be happy to show YOU how to do it (that means YOU come to MY house when I HAVE TIME and bring YOUR FABRIC and SUPPLIES). I try to say it with a smile and with sincerity...I long arm quilt/craft/sew for an extra income in addition to being a stay at home mother. But let me tell you I am not a "stay at home and do nothing" mother, I bust my rump on a daily basis and am exhausted in the evenings. When I have some free time to do some personal sewing I really don't want to spend it hemming so and so's pants

It IS a compliment when someone asks you to make something...but people will really take advantage if you let them. I offered to make a family member a quilt once, and they called back and requested TWO QUEEN sized quilts instead because they like to use separate blankets. I have made one family member four quilts and continue to get requests...and another family member asks me to make her one of EVERYTHING that I make. I have had family members friends that could care less about me or how my family is doing and basically treated me like hired help in making their daughter a dress...and had the nerve to complain about it afterward when I did this for absolute nothing but to be kind.

I know that sounds harsh, and I used to be really surprised to hear others say these things when I started sewing. But I have just had SO many people take advantage...and I'm much happier now that I just say, sorry, but NO! LOL*