Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
cricket_iscute

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I figured out many, many years ago people can't walk on you if you don't lay down and let them. I can say no without even blinking an eye.
You wouldn't have posted the question here if you wanted to make the woman a quilt. Don't feel guilty. You have a right to your life and talent.

I think the problem is that while a quilter would like to grace someone with a quilt, they feel guilty saying no because the reality is that the materials will cost a lot and the opportunity cost (what you give up to get something) could be very high in the life of that quilter.

I've had trouble with this issue in the past. But I've been burned enough that, when someone asked me to fix a whole bunch of zippers because she is rough on her purses, and I knew that person to be manipulative, I said no. She came back again and again and I just kept saying no, I had too many other things to do. It started because I did offer to fix one she broke during an intermission and showed her how to do it, but she didn't want to do it, she wanted me to. I had warned her not to move the zipper while I went to my car to get a needle and thread, and what did she do? Yep. So I told her, I'm sorry, but they are closing the building and that's all I can do for you. If you had not broken it the second time, it would be done now. I was proud of myself for refusing to do something I did not want to do, which was to fix dozens of broken zippers.