Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
mckwilter

When I started quilting, I switched to 100% cotton thread (cotton fabric / cotton thread -- well, it made sense to me). I started out with Gutterman and had absolutely no problems, though many members of the quilt police would ask me WHY I used THAT thread. It does create lint, but all threads do. And I clean the lint out every time I change the bobbin. Then I took a machine quilting class with Harriet Hargrave, and she gave us a sample of Prescencia thread. I love it, it works fine in my Bernina, and there's a little cachet in saying "It's made in Spain". It creates much less lint than the Gutterman. I purchased a cone of white, beige, gray and black, and find that I can sew almost anything. I now use the Gutterman for sewing on bindings, since I have almost every color they sell. I use an 80/12 needle for piecing and a 90/14 for topstitching. I also use the 90/14 for paper piecing, though those darn quilt police tell me I should be using a smaller needle. I had never heard of Brother thread until this thread, so looked at the Amazon.com link. It's poly-cotton, so I won't buy it.