Thread: My DD tatoo
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
svenskaflicka1

i have three daughters: two of them are tattooed. they are both artists, with degrees in studio art. their tattoos are personal--each of them has a meaning to them. one has extensive tattooing that is her husband's artwork. she said that even if something happened to the marriage, she would keep it as a part of her story. (all of her other tattoos are significant in her life, as well.) the other daughter has two small tats that are hers alone, and has a huge side torso tattoo that she designed in honor of her scandinavian/scottish heritage: it is intricate norse knotwork that is a lion, rampant, with a banner across that reads, "the daughter of a lion is also a lion." (youngest kid says that she would rather wear her art on her body than hang it on a wall. it can never be stolen or defaced when it is with her.)

even though i'm pushing 65, i have my tattoos picked out for if/when the moment arrives. left foot, in script, "prone to wander". right shoulder, lines from charles bukowski (for jane)--"when you left, you took almost everything. the tigers have found me, and i do not care..." we are living with parkinson's here, and after almost 45 years of marriage, the struggle is getting harder and harder. if i outlive him, those last lines will be mine, and his disease will have taken almost everything. it should never be forgotten. maybe that's what motivates the young to wear so much ink. some things should never be forgotten...