View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Cogito

As a nurse manager who struggles regularly to keep our unit within budget, I have to comment here. It is correct that the pink tubs and open containers of wipes will be thrown away. But, not all scissors or forceps, etc are disposable. Many are still returned for sterilization and reuse. I am just cautioning people to be conscientious about what they remove from the room. Many have the mentality that "I am paying an arm and a leg so I deserve it!" and take everything that isn't bolted down. What many don't realize is hospitals receive a drastically reduced % of what is actually billed. Anyway, it is way too complicated to go into, I am just saying, please be honest and ask what is ok to take home.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
For any of you who are frequent flyers at the hospital like my hubby, when you come home, raid that room for everything you can grab coz when they clean the room, they will throw everything opened away. I come home with the pink tubs (great for keeping project items together short term)....the little scissors I use for clipping small threads or throw a pair in my purse.....retractable scalpels are great for ripping (also very, very sharp)....the small pillows are tossed too so I bring those home and use them to make throw pillows to go with quilts.....and don't forget the containers of wipes to keep your sewing area clean!