Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Went to Wal-Mart for a couple of items and wound up buying some items that I can use for quilting.

1. Plastic storage drawers - 3 drawers suitable for small cuts of fabric like fat quarters and precuts. This is my second one - first one full! Also have 3 of the larger ones and they are full!

2. Hefty 2 1/2 gallon storage bags. Dimensions 14 3/8 inches by 16 inches. (food storage area) These are great for block swaps or working on samplers. Easily holds those 12 1/2 inch squares.

3. Silicone finger tips - to use when quilting so I don't have to wear gloves. (office supply area)

Nice shopping spree. I cruise Wal Mart for quilting supplies too.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    FYI: WalMart online has so much more quilting items, name brands that are not in the store. The quilt book selection is huge.
    Got fabric?

Thanks especially for the tip about the Hefty 2.5 gallon storage bags! I'd been looking for something that would hold my larger UFO blocks - although I really should be finishing them rather than storing them.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Chasing Hawk: Thanks, great minds ...
    BellaBoo: Thanks! Did not even thing about looking online. Isn't Wal-Mart one of those stores that your online purchase can be delivered to the store so you don't have to pay shipping?
    ArtsyOne: I came up with my forum name because I'm surrounded by UFO's! I also have so many different projects going on that it's good to have a clear bag to hold them in so I can find them easier. And there are lots of us that do those Saturday samplers at Quilt Stores.

Keep the ideas coming!

You did good!!!!

For anyone who has a membership to BJ's Wholesale Club, I buy those big 2 1/2 gallon bags there in bulk....I use them for all my projects and many other things! They are great.

Those 2 1/2 gallon bags are great!! I keep my BOM's in them with the name of the quilt on the outside (in case you are doing more than one!). Also will hold just about all the fabric and the pattern for a quilt as you gather your fabrics. Have fun! Ann

Thanks for the idea of the 2-1/2 gal bags. Would never thought of using them. Also didn't know WM had the silicon finger tips. Might go there tomorrow.

Thanks for telling us where to find 2 1/2 gallon bags. I love that size; but my grocery here doesn't stock them. Thanks to you, I am headed for WalMart.

I love those 2 1/2 gallon bags! I buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time.

I use those big bags when taking classes in Houston - In the upper right corner I write the day and time of the class, then the class name and the name of the instructor. On the left side I make a list of all the supplies I need for that particular class. Each evening I "pack" my bag for the next days class. Then I know I have everything I need. The classes are listed on a master schedule at the GB Center by number so you know what room to go to. I make a bag like this for each class I'm taking - then everything is completely self contained in the bag and I don't forget anything I need.

Wow, thanks for the tip on 2.5 gal bags! I never knew they came that big. The largest I have is 1 gal. Have to put that on my list...

Blog Entries
    Walmart.com has Tutto cases for about 1/2 MSRP. Love my pink one!

You're welcome ladies!
    Nammie to 7: Great Idea! I'm always forgetting something!
    Snipforfun: I did not know they sold those cases. Do you know what size I would need for a Babylock Espire that has the 9 inch throat space?

I like using the silicon fingertips also; and the big food storage bags work good too. I have several of the drawer units - they are so handy and help keep things neat. I don't think I've ever looked online at Walmart.com for quilty stuff - will have to check it out. Our local Walmart closed their fabric dept and then ended up bringing some of it back but it is not very good quality fabric. They don't have very many supplies either.

Great tip about the silicon fingertips! Also - I would suggest perusing the automotive aisle for quilting supplies. I know that sounds crazy but one of my best tools is a metallic pan that is magnetic for catching nuts and bolts. Works great on catching/holding pins too!

Blog Entries
    Love the big bags, I discovered them a few years at Home Depot ...of all places.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

I love shopping at Wal Mart. Many items not intended for quilting make it a lot easier.

On your way home from WalMart, stop at Pizza Hut and ask for a couple of pizza boxes (unused of course ). The 2 1/2 gal bags fit perfectly and make it easier to carry your projects to and fro and keep the fabric, cut pieces and blocks nice and flat.

I just ordered the large Tutto sewing machine bag on wheels from Walmart online. It was the best price available, and saved $40 over the Tutto site. It was delivered to my doorstep for only $2.75 in shipping. That was worth not having to start up the car and drive 15 miles.

Blog Entries
    I also use the 2 1/2 gallon bags for each project. Helps keep me organized in the RV. I find them at Dollar Tree.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
    On your way home from WalMart, stop at Pizza Hut and ask for a couple of pizza boxes (unused of course ). The 2 1/2 gal bags fit perfectly and make it easier to carry your projects to and fro and keep the fabric, cut pieces and blocks nice and flat.
    Pizza boxes work great. I cover mine with fabric scraps. A little imagination and you have some really cute containers to take to classes, retreats, or other quilt related get-togethers. Never thought of using the plastic bags inside the boxes, great idea!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The Hefty storage bags are great because you can write on them. I have a new Wal-Mart in my backyard almost. The clerks that work in that area though don't know a lot about sewing. They're learning from the customers and the regulars are starting to exchange contact information. They write inquiries on the back. One lady showed one of the clerks how(s) and whatfor(s) of one of the rulers. I went in the other day to check out a few things and walked back to the sewing section. Everyone at the cutting table learning something. Store manager wanted to know what all the commotion was about and said we should break it up. Was causing a disturbance. One of the ladies piped up "Will you be more disturbed if I put these 10 yards of fabric and went elsewhere?" Depending on how much fabric is purchased among the group depends on who gets cut first. Least amount goes first. Cutter just asks how much or says 1-2, 2-4, 4-? It just works.

Note: Michaell's also carries the finger tip/silicone grips.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast