Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart >

Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 AM

I just ordered the large Tutto sewing machine bag on wheels from Walmart online. It was the best price available, and saved $40 over the Tutto site. It was delivered to my doorstep for only $2.75 in shipping. That was worth not having to start up the car and drive 15 miles.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 AM

I also use the 2 1/2 gallon bags for each project. Helps keep me organized in the RV. I find them at Dollar Tree.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
On your way home from WalMart, stop at Pizza Hut and ask for a couple of pizza boxes (unused of course ). The 2 1/2 gal bags fit perfectly and make it easier to carry your projects to and fro and keep the fabric, cut pieces and blocks nice and flat.
Pizza boxes work great. I cover mine with fabric scraps. A little imagination and you have some really cute containers to take to classes, retreats, or other quilt related get-togethers. Never thought of using the plastic bags inside the boxes, great idea!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

The Hefty storage bags are great because you can write on them. I have a new Wal-Mart in my backyard almost. The clerks that work in that area though don't know a lot about sewing. They're learning from the customers and the regulars are starting to exchange contact information. They write inquiries on the back. One lady showed one of the clerks how(s) and whatfor(s) of one of the rulers. I went in the other day to check out a few things and walked back to the sewing section. Everyone at the cutting table learning something. Store manager wanted to know what all the commotion was about and said we should break it up. Was causing a disturbance. One of the ladies piped up "Will you be more disturbed if I put these 10 yards of fabric and went elsewhere?" Depending on how much fabric is purchased among the group depends on who gets cut first. Least amount goes first. Cutter just asks how much or says 1-2, 2-4, 4-? It just works.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 AM

Note: Michaell's also carries the finger tip/silicone grips.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 AM

I bought the 10 gallon (XL) Ziploc Big Bags at Walmart. They're 2 feet x 20", and have a handle for carrying. Walmart didn't have them for a period of time, and I bought the XL bags at Dollar Tree. I found that the Dollar Tree bags ripped at the handle. I've never had the Ziploc Big Bags rip at the handle. It's gotten stretched a little, but not ripped. I think the Dollar tree bags were a little bit smaller than the Ziploc bags.

When Walmart didn't have them, I may have been asking for the wrong thing. I asked for project bags, but they're called "Big Bags." They come in L, XL, and XXL. The sizes of the other sizes aren't listed on the XL box. Our Walmart has the L and XL, and they're with the food storage bags. I think I saw some Hefty Bags, but they were smaller. I don't remember if they had a handle.

I keep individual, or similar projects in one bag. Then it's easy to grab and go. I have another one as a scrap bag, with some smaller ziploc bags with similar size pieces in them (1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3.5" squares, and another with the bonus half square triangles from making snowball blocks.). Another bag still has the leftovers from my hand-dyed quilt - it had the strips while I was making the quilt.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Love the idea of having the blocks in the plastic bags will have to look for the bigger bags. But what about long time storage in airtight plastic?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
I just ordered the large Tutto sewing machine bag on wheels from Walmart online. It was the best price available, and saved $40 over the Tutto site. It was delivered to my doorstep for only $2.75 in shipping. That was worth not having to start up the car and drive 15 miles.
I wish walmart.com carried the 1x Tutto. My new embroidery machine is hard to fit in the Large. I have to put it in from the side which is a struggle since the machine is so heavy. But since the 1X is about $100 more I will continue to struggle!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 AM

Empty pizza boxes work great for storing blocks also. I just go to the pizza place and ask for new boxes. You might have to pay a couple of dollars for them, but they work good. One pizza place just gave them to me and said "come and have pizza here next time". I use them for my blocks of the month.

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Thanks especially for the tip about the Hefty 2.5 gallon storage bags! I'd been looking for something that would hold my larger UFO blocks - although I really should be finishing them rather than storing them.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Tessagin - your store manager should have been pleased that there was a "disturbance" in the fabric department - it shows customer interest. And kudos to the employees in that section for wanting to learn about the products they are selling and really working with the customers. They should be commended but doesn't sound like the manager will do it. I would write a letter to the district manager about their great job!

And thanks to everyone with the tips on the big bags and pizza boxes. Always great to learn about new uses for things.