View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 AM
Needles

I'm still trying to figure out why we are all still alive since only 5-10 years have they been tacking on all these sell by dates. Actually, most say, best by date. They are selling food products, of course they want you to toss it, and buy more. Most of us are bright enough to know when a product is not good, meat, bread, etc. If flour products get bugs or things are clumped together.

Twenty years ago, hardly anything had a date and rarely was anything tossed. It's a money world now, they want you to spend it. Some items will lose flavor or effectiveness, baking powder for one, yeast. Pop having a date is almost funny, so is beer. Since no one drinks it here, a six pack can set for a couple of years. It still makes wonderful beer bread plus as an additive for cooking. Wine that turns, is called wine vinegar, which you can buy on your grocer's shelf, for a price. Turned wine is the best marinade one can use.

Just season your steaks, chicken whatever, put in a covered dish or plastic zip bag, pour wine vinegar in and let set until ready to grill or cook. Sometimes I do it 24 hours ahead. I do turn the meat a few times, that's why I like the plastic bags.

If you use diet soda products, the taste will go off, but not for quite awhile. We only use regular, if any. Sugar really doesn't spoil but the drinks may lose carbonation.