View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 PM
1screech

My pressing board which I made myself is very accurate for pressing. The first one I made, I really padded it up with an old blanket and batting and this was a mistake because all that padding does cause your fabrics to stretch. Ask me how I know. I need to redo that one. The next one I made, I used a wooden board, a heavy duty plastic garbage bag (to wrap around the wood to keep moisture from getting to the wood and causing warping), one layer of warm and white batting and a piece of canvas as the top layer. I stapled each layer tightly to the wood. When I put the canvas on, I pulled it as tight as I could and my husband stapled it. I then sprayed the canvas with water and let it dry several times. It made the canvas shrink and pulled it really tight. I also made a muslin pillow case to some of the boards so if it got dirty or scorched I could either wash it or replace the light weight case cheaply. I figured this out when I sprayed my fabric with spray basting instead of starch. What a mess that was and I had to throw the fabric away. I found a half a sheet of plywood in the scrap wood section for only a few dollars at one of these places and I had them slice the board in half and then whack up the other piece into smaller pieces. It was 3-4 cuts and they did not charge me. I made these for my for friends and family. I looked at the pressing boards and they were so expensive I decided to make my own. I doubt I have $40 in all that I made. The cotton canvas was probably the most cost. It takes less than 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size. The homemade ones are probably not quite as pretty but they work just fine unless you put too much padding.