Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pressing workshop

Blog Entries

Pressing workshop

I went to a pressing/ironing workshop today. I learned a lot of helpful tips. If you use steam always have the iron up to highest temp before turning the steam on. This stops a lot of the sputtering and spitting. Use a very firm surface with very thin padding to keep cut fabric from distorting. The Steady Betty pressing board is great for pressing quilt blocks. The demo was HST pressed with and without using the Steady Betty. The instructor had a very old one, not called Steady Betty then. Keep the iron on the fabric long enough for the heat to do the job, this makes the fabric very hot. Don't move it until it cools. Always use a clapper. The clapper instantly takes the heat from the fabric and keeps the memory of a flat seam in the fabric. There were all brands and types of irons used from new to old. Then we went to more dressmaking pressing using hams, pressing cloths and needle boards.
    Got fabric?

Thanks!

delma

What's a clapper? What's a Steady Betty? Apparently I have a few things to learn! Thanks in advance.

what an interesting class! thanks for sharing.
    ​Nancy

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the post. I was blessed to have a mom who was an expert seamstress and taught me all about pressing and how to use all sorts of pressing tools. I smiled when I read the line 'don't move it until it cools'. I hear my mom's voice saying that every time I press!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Interesting. I used to use a clapper when I did garment construction and it made a real difference but I never thought of using it when pressing quilt pieces. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Nilla - what's a clapper (only one I know is "clap-on, clap-off")? Question: when setting a quilt seam, do you move the iron back and forth or hold it in place? steam or no steam?

Very interesting. I do worry about distorting the block. I, too do not know what a clapper is. ???

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    What a great class to have!
    Your post seems to confirm what I have believed, and taught, all along.....it's not the steam that distorts, it's the presser.
    Thanks for posting, BellaBoo.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I Googled pressing clapper, so now I at least know what it is. Now, can you explain what the use is as related to quilting. If possible maybe even a picture or 2. I'm a visual learner so the pictures would really help. Thanks
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    Try 'how to quilt using a tailor clapper by Angela Wolf' this is a utube but can't copy and paste so I hope I have remembered it correctly. I did a google search pressing clapper for quilting and found some explanations.
    Finished is better than a UFO

SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

What a great class to get to attend. Was it put on by your LQS or someplace else. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I never use steam. If I need moisture I use a spray bottle.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    The Steady Betty is a foam substance that grips fabric and does not melt when ironed. When you iron your blocks or patches, the fabric won't move or slide around. It comes in several different forms, such as a 14" x 14" board, or an ironing board cover. It works great and I like it, but it can get rather expensive. I've found that covering my ironing board with cotton duck works just as well. Having said that, I have purchased Steady Betty foam strips for my rulers. No more slipping while I'm cutting fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by vondae View Post
    I Googled pressing clapper, so now I at least know what it is. Now, can you explain what the use is as related to quilting. If possible maybe even a picture or 2. I'm a visual learner so the pictures would really help. Thanks
    Here is a site with a picture of a clapper on Amazon. I have a big one and a smaller one. An appliqué instructor also said a small block of wood that is clean and well sanded works just as well, except you don't have the handy handle for applying pressure. They really do work - they absorb the heat from the fabric. It's like magic!

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Hand-In...essing+clapper

Checked out pressing clapper on YouTube and Amazon. Added it to my wish list. Thanks for the hints?
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

thanks for the photo link. I have seen these for years and years and never knew what they were for! Duhhhh! Why did I not ask? I just learned my new thing for today!

Blog Entries
    This workshop was at the Home Ext. office.

If you can find the foam back vinyl to cover a thin board (foam side out) it will work the same as the Steady Betty. No, nothing melts. The foam back vinyl use to be sold at most fabric shops for outdoor use. I haven't seen any in a long time in the stores. The Steady Betty is well made, two covered boards together. I used a 40% off coupon for Joanns online to buy the largest size. June Tailor use to make the smaller clapper but discontinued it. Golden Hands now makes the new ones with and without point presser. Nancy Notions sells them. If you find one at a yard sale, grab it. The older ones cost a fortune.
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pic. I also have seen these and wondered what they were. Thanks for the post and all the tips. One more I heard the quilt teacher say the other day. We iron clothes,we press quilt blocks. I try to remember this now. Next time I see a clapper I will know what it is and buy one.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I learned something new!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the clapper on tv and in the fabric shops. Like a round padded wooden block.

Blog Entries
    The clapper isn't padded, the wood needs to absorb the heat.
    Got fabric?

I came across this site, they have all kinds of pressing tools like the clapper and the silicone iron rest and the teflon applique sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
    Here is a site with a picture of a clapper on Amazon. I have a big one and a smaller one. An appliqué instructor also said a small block of wood that is clean and well sanded works just as well, except you don't have the handy handle for applying pressure. They really do work - they absorb the heat from the fabric. It's like magic!

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Hand-In...essing+clapper
    That's the same one I've had since college. I took one sewing course (requirement for Home Ec Education/Foods) where we were taught to use the clapper to set the creases in pants during construction. It does make a wonderfully sharp crease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast