Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 PM
hopetoquilt

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
Your quilts are beautiful and surely will be a welcomed gift and Jack looks adorable and loved much. It is most wonderful that you realize you can still dance, then if storms come your way you will be able to handle anything. Does Jack attend time with a special education teacher in a resource room? I am asking as to not overlook another important member of his education.
Jacks disability is completely physical. His cognitive skills are good. However, (long complex story) he landed in the multiple disabilities kindergarten. I could have easily argued that decision but I knew that the teacher (special Ed teacher) is an extraordinarily great teacher so I allowed the placement. I work as a speech therapist in the schools so I know my rights and how to judge an appropriate placement. He will be in an inclusion class next year for all subjects (first grade). Currently, there are 3 aides in the room. I gave all of the staff gifts for Christmas. ($20 gift cards and a decorative jar of candy) and smaller gift cards for related arts teachers. The quilts are once in a lifetime things. In June, I also plan to group a couple of items together with a note that says "orange you glad it is summer" (orange beach towel, Reese's cups, orange soda, etc). Everyone will get one. The quilts will be given privately at the end of the year. I also write a letter to the principal at the end of every school year praising all of the great things teachers have done during the school year (I also have an older son). I believe the teachers appreciate it and it is more than just a passing verbal compliment.