Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: This is pointless...(cut off a few points) but still pretty cool

This is pointless...(cut off a few points) but still pretty cool

So I chopped off a few points... Love storm at sea. I originally was going to have the fabrics in the reversed position but I cut wrong. Story of my life.

my son has muscular dystrophy and this quilt is headed to the LAQ and then will be gifted to the physical therapist who sees him now at his elementary school and will hopefully follow him from kindergarten through eighth grade. She is awesome. Beyond awesome. I chose the storm at sea quilt based on a quote that I read here. One of the members had written at the bottom by her signature "life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's learning to dance in the rain". I repeated that quote a lot when jack was first diagnosed and I was overwhelmed with sadness. Now every day is beautiful, rain or no rain.

I will also attach pictures of the disappearing 4 patch (for the occupational therapist) and batik sampler (for the kindergarten teacher. These people have given my son the best education/services/kindergarten experiences imaginable. Took me 6 months just to pick the patterns for them and another 2-3 months to make them. The sampler is from the batik block exchange I did last year and a lot of my own blocks thrown in. Jack is in the last picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by hopetoquilt; 04-27-2013 at 05:10 PM.

These are all beautiful. Very generous gifts. Lucky people.
    Be a girl with a mind, a women with attitude and a lady with class.

I like them all!
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    They all are beautiful! What points can not tell from the picture looks good from here. Congratulations they all are fabulous!
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    Awesome, awesome and more awesome. It's stories like this that raise me up.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

As a former teacher, I can tell you that those gifts would just humble me to tears. They are so thoughtful, beautiful, and generous. Your little Jack is a cutie pie. Much luck to both of you. Keep dancing!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilts!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    Very nice quiilts

Those are simply gorgeous quilts! Best wishes to you and Jack.
    Patchwork Crazy!!!

I love them and your story - Jack looks very happy in his pic. His teacher and therapist will be thrilled - what a great story.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    They all look perfect and WITH points to me! What wonderful quilts you have made and the stories behind them so meaningful. I'm sure they will be treasured for a lifetime.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Blog Entries
    Your quilts are beautiful and surely will be a welcomed gift and Jack looks adorable and loved much. It is most wonderful that you realize you can still dance, then if storms come your way you will be able to handle anything. Does Jack attend time with a special education teacher in a resource room? I am asking as to not overlook another important member of his education.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    All three are beautiful. There's lots of movement in the first one. Almost like a Storm at Sea.

All of them are gorgeous, so is your Son Jack. I couldn't see any missing points. Great job on all and they will love them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your story and the beautiful quilt pics. Your generosity and gratitude will be received with joy. You have a sweet blessing in your son Jack.

Blog Entries
    all are nicely done. really love the middle one.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    Your quilts are beautiful and surely will be a welcomed gift and Jack looks adorable and loved much. It is most wonderful that you realize you can still dance, then if storms come your way you will be able to handle anything. Does Jack attend time with a special education teacher in a resource room? I am asking as to not overlook another important member of his education.
    Jacks disability is completely physical. His cognitive skills are good. However, (long complex story) he landed in the multiple disabilities kindergarten. I could have easily argued that decision but I knew that the teacher (special Ed teacher) is an extraordinarily great teacher so I allowed the placement. I work as a speech therapist in the schools so I know my rights and how to judge an appropriate placement. He will be in an inclusion class next year for all subjects (first grade). Currently, there are 3 aides in the room. I gave all of the staff gifts for Christmas. ($20 gift cards and a decorative jar of candy) and smaller gift cards for related arts teachers. The quilts are once in a lifetime things. In June, I also plan to group a couple of items together with a note that says "orange you glad it is summer" (orange beach towel, Reese's cups, orange soda, etc). Everyone will get one. The quilts will be given privately at the end of the year. I also write a letter to the principal at the end of every school year praising all of the great things teachers have done during the school year (I also have an older son). I believe the teachers appreciate it and it is more than just a passing verbal compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    All three are beautiful. There's lots of movement in the first one. Almost like a Storm at Sea.
    It is a storm at sea. However, I reversed the typical light and dark fabrics. Gives it a slightly different look. I used the specialty storm at sea rulers and they worked pretty well.

Beautiful quilts for special people. How nice of you to reward them in such a special way. Your precious son is mighty handsome.

They all are beautiful!

What wonderful gifts. My son has challenges as well. Today he is in college and doing well. I directly credit his success to the Resource Team we lucked into at his elementary school. Their dedication, positive attitudes and love were a gift from God.
    I'm so glad you have been similarly blessed. I wish everyone could be.

Very beautiful, great job..

Points are highly over rated!!! your quilts are beautiful, thank you for sharing.

All three are amazing. What wonderful gifts.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

My DD is a speech therapist and she receives gifts from patients who are grateful for her work. She is appreciative and humbled. Your quilts are over the top wonderful expressions of appreciation. They are lovely!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast